Comware Based
1753650 Members
5868 Online
108798 Solutions
New Discussion

DHCP SERVER ON HP 5500 HI SWITCHES

ROSHAN1972

DHCP SERVER ON HP 5500 HI SWITCHES

Help me on running a dhcp server on hp 5500 hi core for L3 roaming I had a hp850 conroller and few APs need to share internet on default vlan

1 REPLY 1
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Re: DHCP SERVER ON HP 5500 HI SWITCHES

Howdy,

TL;DR - use a real DHCP server if you need more than the basics.

To start - http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5195279&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c03180076

Page 38 onwards will help enormously.

To be honest you'll get far more flexibility out of a server based DHCP. InfoBlox is awesome for secure DHCP & IPAM but is $$$ to buy, use a spare Windows server and slap a DHCP role on it if you have one or use a lInux server / VM if you need to save the pennies.

Microservers and suchlike are inexpensive, quiet & compact. A raspberry Pi would probably do the job on a small site!

If you need to do DHCP options above and beyond the standard ones (i.e. passing controller addresses to access points) you start having to look at calculating and adding hex strings into the switch DHCP server config along with carving out IP pools and it ain't pretty.

Just for delivering IP, netmask, gateway to a handful of devices using the switch is not a bad option, say for a branch site with no server footprint, and it is free as you already have the switch.

5500 & 5510 HI I think are my fave Comware switches as you can do really inexpensive MPLS / VPLS designs and bring service provider features into average joe networks. :-)

Cheers

Ian

Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me