1748159 Members
3997 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Direct Attached Copper / Twinax 10GB Internetworking

RyanBiddle
Occasional Advisor

Direct Attached Copper / Twinax 10GB Internetworking

Is there a published list of DAC cables that work between vendors.

'HP switch said "This is a Cisco Cable ERROR".

Cisco switch said "enable unsupported-tranciever"

'

Can't we all just get along? we are talking about copper right?

how propriatary can that be?

4 REPLIES 4
Apachez-
Trusted Contributor

I agree but part of the marketing strategies (specially for Cisco, but im afraid HP will follow) is to do their best to lock in their customers.

This way not only the switch/router must be replaced but also all the optics and now the dacs aswell - which will be more expensive than just replacing the switch/router itself.

However having a DAC that identifies itself as some valid HP partnumber along with some valid Cisco partnumber on the other end sounds like something a 3rd party optics vendor should be able to perform.

Tried asking www.flexoptix.net or similar?

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

When you say it's an "HP switch", do you mean it's a Procurve switch?

I've used some DAC cables and I think they worked fine in H3C switches (for server connections, both ESX & HP). I know the Procurves are fussier.

Richard Brodie_1
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately all the SFPs are locked, including those built into the DAC. At least it's only advisory on Cisco, last time I looked, so you could use an HP cable and enable third-party transceivers on the Cisco.

Alternatively, you might be able to get  a third-party vendor to code one end HP and the other Cisco.

sjhwilkes
Visitor

Is this still the case with the latest Comware versions?

Thinking I should purchase HP cables and work with the unsupported issue on the other end - in this case Intel NICs that behave differently according to whether Intel or non-Intel SFP+ are present.

I kinda get this with optics, but with DAC cables, especially < 5M 'passive' ones, this is all asinine.