4651 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPE 5920AF Upgrade Help

lovleen_datacom
Occasional Visitor

HPE 5920AF Upgrade Help

Hi,

We have 2-member stack 5920AF Switch running Boot ROM: 147  Software: Release 2422P01.

We want to go to R2432P06. And the release notes for R2432P06 say that we must have bootrom of 157 or higher.

Can I just go ahead with the upgrade directly to R2432P06 .ipe file (as that contains both bootloader .bin and system software), or do i need to upgrade the bootrom to 157 first (as currently it is 147). If I need bootroom to be done first separately, then where to download the bootroom only file?

Also, is there such a thing in HPE switches as upgrade path, for example can i go straight from R2422P01 to R2432P06, or do i need to upgrade gradually to interim release and then finally to R2434P06. Many thanks for the help and advice in advance.

Many thanks for the help.

3 REPLIES 3
parnassus
Honored Contributor

You could update directly from 2422P01 to 2432P06, BootROM will be automatically updated during update process ("If an .ipe file is used, the system automatically decompresses the file, loads the .bin boot and system images in the file and sets them as startup software images. Typically, the Boot ROM and software images for this switch series are released in an .ipe file" and more "Upon power-on, the Boot ROM image runs to initialize hardware and then the software images run to
start up the entire system" source: Release Notes "Upgrading Software" on Appendix B and then, on "Upgrading from the CLI" section "The system automatically checks the compatibility of the Boot ROM image and the boot and system images during the reboot. If you are prompted that the Boot ROM image in the upgrade image file is different than the current Boot ROM image, upgrade both the basic and extended sections of the Boot ROM image for compatibility. If you choose to not upgrade the Boot ROM image, the system will ask for an upgrade at the next reboot performed by powering on the switch or rebooting from the CLI (promptly or as scheduled). If you fail to make any choice in the required time, the system upgrades the entire Boot ROM image.").

With regards to your two member IRF at 2422P01...supposing you want to benefit from doing an ISSU to 2432P06, 2432P02 Release Notes reports this: "The ISSU compatibility list for this version contains only version F2426 and later versions. For detailed reasons, see the open problem 201803270855".

Open problem 201803270855:

• Symptom: Memory leak occurs on the master device, and the master device reboots.
  • Condition: This symptom occurs if ISSU is used to upgrade a version earlier than F2425 to version R2432P06.
  • Workaround: First use ISSU to upgrade the software to a version between F2425 and R2432P05 (including F2425 and R2432P05), and then use ISSU to upgrade the software to version R2432P06.

So they're suggestiong to not use ISSU directly from your current running version to latest 2432P06 but do an interim update to R2432P05 first.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
lovleen_datacom
Occasional Visitor

Thanks for the reply. So i understand bootrom i need not worry about. But if i am following the below plan, do i need to worry about issu not supporting direct upgrade. I suppose with the below steps, I am not doing issu method. Can you confirm please:

boot-loader file flash:/newest.ipe slot 1 main

boot-loader file flash:/newest.ipe slot 2 main

parnassus
Honored Contributor

Not to circumvent your latest question...but - first - have you read on R2432P05 Release Notes if an ISSU procedure is supported updating an IRF at R2422P01 - your one - to R2432P05 (or to any other version between above reported usable range , starting from the older or from the newer one)?

If so...you will overcome the reported issue...first reaching the R2432P05 (with a first ISSU update) and then performing the second ISSU update to final R2432P06 (which is supported IIRC the latest R2432P06 Release Notes).

Any non-ISSU update procedure will be for sure more disruptive than an ISSU update procedure.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner