1771264 Members
2110 Online
109004 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Trunking between hp 5120 and Cisco catalyst 3750

donglee
Contributor

Trunking between hp 5120 and Cisco catalyst 3750

One of my edge HP S5120 switches is dead, I am going to replace it with a Cisco switch Catalyst WS-C3750X-48T-S series PoE-48 via a trunk link with GE fiber port on both ends, please see the diagram below.
trunk trunk
Core switchrouter<----------S5120<--------------->Cisco Catlyst 3750

I haven’t touch Cisco switch for many years, I would like to ask the following questions:

1.) Do I need to take any precaution before connecting this Cisco switch into my Huawei network? Only one link between S5120 and C3750, so I don't need worry anout STP? Do I need to worry about Default vlan regarding trunking port?
2.) I need to use different trucking protocol e.g. 802.1Q etc to interconnect these two switches (S5120 and Catalyst 3750), please see the following configuration:

For C3750:

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
switchport trunk native vlan (What you want)
switchport trunk allowed vlan (VLANs required)
switchport mode trunk
spanning-tree portfast trunk

For S5120:

port link-type trunk
port trunk permit vlan all

Do you think the configurations above are right?

Do I need to manually enter Duplex and speed options ?

3.)If the configurations are not right, then what are the commands for trucking port/link should I use on the Cisco switch (it uses IOS software) and Huawei switch? Procedures of the commands would be really helpful !

Any information and help would be much appreciated.

1 REPLY 1
Fredrik Lönnman
Honored Contributor

Re: Trunking between hp 5120 and Cisco catalyst 3750

Remove the "spanning-tree portfast trunk" and change the spanning-tree mode to rstp/mst depending on what you're running on the rest of the switches and you should be good to go.

---
CCIE Service Provider
MASE Network Infrastructure [2011]
H3CSE
CCNP R&S