3317 Online
108898 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Configuring static IP bindings for WLAN

jaysta
Advisor

Configuring static IP bindings for WLAN

Hi,

I'm trying to configure three devices with static IP addresses on a wireless network. The VLAN/WLAN already has a DHCP pool configured and the VLAN interface references the DHCP pool as below:

interface Vlan-interface708
 description Mobile Wireless
 ip address 10.70.8.2 255.255.255.0
 dhcp server apply ip-pool mobilewireless
dhcp server ip-pool mobilewireless extended
 network ip range 10.70.8.11 10.70.8.130
 network mask 255.255.255.0
 gateway-list 10.70.8.1
 dns-list 8.8.8.8 195.216.16.65

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I have tried to digest the Layer 3 Configuration Guide for our HP 830 24 port PoE Unified WiFi Controller and the way I understand it is that I would need to create 3 separate DHCP pools (non extended) to apply to the above VLAN interface, each DHCP pool with a static bind configured. See below:

dhcp server ip-pool mobilestat201
 static-bind ip-address 10.70.8.201 mask 255.255.255.0
 static-bind mac-address e896-0601-eda5
 gateway-list 10.70.8.1
#
dhcp server ip-pool mobilestat202
 static-bind ip-address 10.70.8.202 mask 255.255.255.0
 static-bind mac-address e896-0602-1d9e
 gateway-list 10.70.8.1
#
dhcp server ip-pool mobilestat203
 static-bind ip-address 10.70.8.203 mask 255.255.255.0
 static-bind mac-address e896-0602-1e0c
 gateway-list 10.70.8.1

But when I try to apply the above DHCP pools to the VLAN interface I get:

[WiFiCon1-Vlan-interface708]dhcp server apply ip-pool mobilestat201
 Info: The pool applied by the interface is not an extended mode pool.
[WiFiCon1-Vlan-interface708]dhcp server apply ip-pool mobilestat202
[WiFiCon1-Vlan-interface708]dhcp server apply ip-pool mobilestat203
[WiFiCon1-Vlan-interface708]dis this
#
interface Vlan-interface708
 description Mobile Wireless
 ip address 10.70.8.2 255.255.255.0
 dhcp server apply ip-pool mobilewireless

My problem is either a) I can't create static bind in an extended DHCP pool and/or b) I'm misunderstanding something here. Please can someone guide me, where I'm going wrong?

Kind regards,

Jaysta

7 REPLIES 7
akg7
HPE Pro

Hello,

What is the SKU/Product number of your device?

Thanks!

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the companyAccept or Kudo
-Alex-
HPE Pro

Hello jaysta,

You have to apply extended address pool to the vlan as it is mentioned under the L3 command guide for HP830 on page 21:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c04568105 

"If you execute the dhcp server apply ip-pool command on an interface, when a client's request arrives at the interface, the server attempts to assign the client the statically bound IP address first, and then an IP address from this extended address pool. Only an extended address pool can be applied on an interface. The address pool to be referenced must already exist."

Hope this helps!

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

jaysta
Advisor

Thanks for your reply @akg7 . It's JG640A

jaysta
Advisor

Hi @-Alex-,

Thanks for your reply.

There is an extended pool already attached to the VLAN, see my first post. I tried to add a static IP bind to this but no joy as the 'static-bind' commands are not available. See below, I created another extended DHCP pool and that 'static-bind' command is still not there. This is why I thought I should create non-extended DHCP pools, each with static IP bindings but then those pools can't be referenced in the VLAN interface because they're not extended DHCP pools. What is the way to achieve a VLAN with DHCP pool or pools that has a range of IP addresses to lease and some DHCP reservations?

[WiFiCon1-dhcp-pool-mobilewireless]dhcp ser ip mobilestattest extended
[WiFiCon1-dhcp-pool-mobilestattest]?
Dhcp-pool view commands:
  bims-server              BIMS server
  bootfile-name            Specify boot file names
  dialer                   Dialer disconnect
  display                  Display current system information
  dns-list                 DNS servers
  domain-name              Domain name
  expired                  Address lease time for dynamic users
  forbidden-ip             Define addresses DHCP server can not assign
  gateway-list             Default routers
  nbns-list                NetBIOS (WINS) name servers
  netbios-type             NetBIOS node type
  network                  Network number and mask
  next-server              Specify the next server in boot process
  option                   Raw DHCP options
  ping                     Ping function
  quit                     Exit from current command view
  reset                    Reset operation
  return                   Exit to User View
  save                     Save current configuration
  tftp-server              TFTP servers
  tracert                  Trace route function
  undo                     Cancel current setting
  vendor-class-identifier  Vendor class identifier
  voice-config             Option 184
[WiFiCon1-dhcp-pool-mobilestattest]
-Alex-
HPE Pro

Hello jaysta,

If your point is to just provide dynamic ip addresses and static bind you can use only common pools why you need dynamic. The pool is detemined by the ip address of the receiving interface. Please check the following which is found on page 26:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c04568065 

DHCP address pool DHCP address pools include common and extended address pools:
•Common address pool—Supports both static binding and dynamic allocation.
•Extended address pool—Supports only dynamic allocation.

DHCP address pool
DHCP address pools include common and extended address pools:
• Common address pool—Supports both static binding and dynamic allocation.
• Extended address pool—Supports only dynamic allocation.
Common address pool structure
The organization of the common address pool database can be compared to a tree. The root of the tree
is the address pool for natural networks, branches are address pools for subnets, and leaves are
addresses statically bound to clients. For the same level address pools, a previously configured pool has
a higher selection priority than a new one.
At the very beginning, subnets inherit network parameters and clients inherit subnet parameters.
Therefore, common parameters (for example, a DNS server address) should be configured at the highest
(network or subnet) level of the tree.
The new configuration at the higher level (parent) of the tree is:
• Inherited if the lower level (child) has no such configuration.
IP address lease durations are not inherited.
• Overridden if the lower level (child) has such configuration.
NOTE:
The extended address pools on a DHCP server are independent of each other, and no inheritance
relationship exists among them.
Principles for selecting an address pool
The DHCP server observes the following principles to select an address pool when assigning an IP
address to a client:
1. If there is an address pool where an IP address is statically bound to the MAC address or ID of the
client, the DHCP server selects this address pool and assigns the statically bound IP address to the
client. For the configuration of this address pool, see "Configuring static address allocation."
2. If the receiving interface has an extended address pool referenced, the DHCP server assigns an IP
address from this address pool. If no IP address is available in the address pool, the DHCP server
fails to assign an address to the client. For the configuration of such an address pool, see
"Configuring dynamic address allocation for an extended address pool."
3. Otherwise, the DHCP server selects the smallest common address pool that contains the IP address
of the receiving interface (if the client and the server reside on the same subnet), or the smallest
common address pool that contains the IP address specified in the giaddr field of the client's
request (if a DHCP relay agent is in-between). If no IP address is available in the address pool, the
DHCP server fails to assign an address to the client because it cannot assign an IP address from the
parent address pool to the client. For the configuration of such an address pool, see "Configuring
dynamic address allocation."
For example, two common address pools, 1.1.1.0/24 and 1.1.1.0/25, are configured on the DHCP server.
If the IP address of the interface receiving DHCP requests is 1.1.1.1/25, the DHCP server selects IP
addresses for clients from address pool 1.1.1.0/25. If no IP address is available in the address pool, the
DHCP server fails to assign addresses to clients. If the IP address of the interface receiving DHCP requests
is 1.1.1.130/25, the DHCP server selects IP addresses for clients from the 1.1.1.0/24 address pool.
NOTE:
To make sure correct IP address allocation, keep the IP addresses for dynamic allocation within the subnet
where the interface of the DHCP server or DHCP relay agent resides.

Hope this helps!

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

jaysta
Advisor

Thanks for your help again @-Alex-

I get the feeling we need to disturb our existing DHCP setup, which our HPE gold partner consultant advised us to setup. This was only to help configure a more tightened firewall rule. If someone can tell me simply what I need to be doing that would be great. As I don't have a lot of time to spend on this I'm just going to put the whole subnet in the firewall rule.

Thanks again to all. and have a good weekend.

-Alex-
HPE Pro

Hello jaysta,

I do not know the other part of the network and the firewall but you may just create pools - not extended and they will work without assigning them to the interface the most specific one will be chosen and this is based on the interface which receives the request. Please check my previous post which includes the following example:

"For example, two common address pools, 1.1.1.0/24 and 1.1.1.0/25, are configured on the DHCP server.
If the IP address of the interface receiving DHCP requests is 1.1.1.1/25, the DHCP server selects IP
addresses for clients from address pool 1.1.1.0/25. If no IP address is available in the address pool, the
DHCP server fails to assign addresses to clients. If the IP address of the interface receiving DHCP requests
is 1.1.1.130/25, the DHCP server selects IP addresses for clients from the 1.1.1.0/24 address pool.
NOTE:
To make sure correct IP address allocation, keep the IP addresses for dynamic allocation within the subnet
where the interface of the DHCP server or DHCP relay agent resides."

You already know how to create the rules just create dynamic for the range but not extended.

Please note that there could be some specifics in your network which we do not know. 

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo