5494 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: preferred AC for an AP group

hboetes
Occasional Contributor

preferred AC for an AP group

HP Series Wireless LAN Device HP 850

I've set up stateful failover and that works like expected. Of course the AC's need to know all AP's. And after a reboot all AP's are managed by the other AC.

To make the routing more efficient I would like to configure the AP's in building 1 by default use the AC in building one and the AP's in building 2 to use the AC in building 2. Unless there is an outage, of course. How can I do that?

2 REPLIES 2
parnassus
Honored Contributor

Isn't the 1+1 configuration (a Primary AC plus a Backup AC) made in a way that - at any given time - each AP is tunnelled to both ACs (Primary and Backup) concurrently but each AP links to the active AC (Primary) only...and only when a failover takes place APs move to the next active AC which was the standby one (the Backup AC) becoming the new active?

Switching back wireless services to the Primary AC (from the Backup AC) should happen if priorities on Primary/Backup are configured properly and as soon as the Primary AC recovers.

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner
hboetes
Occasional Contributor

Hello parnassus,

thanks for your thoughts. You're right, what I see in the interface is which AC is managing the AP's. Which is a minor load of course and not important at all.

But I still would like to know how I can see and manage which AC is routing the traffic for which AP. Sending traffic twice through the backbone doesn't make sense.