4737 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

Vlan setup between Unified 850 and 5130 Switch

David_Wuyts
Occasional Contributor

Vlan setup between Unified 850 and 5130 Switch

Hi,

I'm trying to setup a Unified 850 Wifi controller with a local LAN and Guest SSID

For the local LAN I use the default Vlan 1 and for the Guest I would like to use Vlan 10

At this moment the 850 has the following IP's

Vlan 1 : 10.200.0.80

Vlan 10: 192.168.0.80

The Switch has the following IP's

Vlan 1: 10.200.0.20

Vlan 10: 192.168.0.20

I can perfectly ping from the switch to the controller in Vlan 1, but for Vlan 10 i cannot get the 2 devices to communicate!

Until now i have tried the following senarios:

- Vlan 10 untagged between Switch and Controller (simple UTP cable between the 2 devices)

- Vlan 10 Tagged between Switch and Controller (simple UTP cable between the 2 devices)

- Linkaggregation on port 1/0/1 and 1/0/2 (both tagged and untagged senarios tested on the link aggragation)

After rebooting and resetting devices, I did a very simple test.

Made Vlan 10 on controller (ip 192.168.0.80), untagged on port 1/0/8, connect my laptop to port 1/0/8 and gave the laptop ip 192.168.0.50. Still no Ping relpy ...??

Is there anyone that can help me to solve this (normaly easy) problem?

3 REPLIES 3
Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

Re: Vlan setup between Unified 850 and 5130 Switch

Does the 5130  have IP routing enabled?

-> Is the 5130 supposed to be doing the routing, as per your design, or do you have a core switch for that?

David_Wuyts
Occasional Contributor

I did not enable anything for routing ...

Sins both devices are in the same subnet I would assume this is not necessary?

If needed, can you give some examples?

Many Thx!

Vince-Whirlwind
Honored Contributor

If it is configured as a Layer-2 switch, what is it going to do with a 2nd IP address?

The routed address for the new VLAN should (probably) be on your core switch.

The VLAN needs to be trunked between core and this switch, and between this switch and the remote switch.

(In this context, "trunked" means the VLAN has been added as a tagged VLAN onto both interfaces on either side of the switch-to-switch link).

You test this switch has successfully had the VLAN added by creating an untagged switchport in the new VLAN, putting a laptop on that switchport, configuring the laptop with an address in the new VLAN's subnet, and pinging the address on the core switch that is the router address for the new VLAN/subnet.

If that works, you can then move your test to the remote switch.

If that doesn't work, the issue is your trunking between this switch and the remote switch.