Disk Enclosures
1753616 Members
6014 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ESXI : Replace P410i controller by P800

EL YOUNSI

ESXI : Replace P410i controller by P800

We bought several server DL 380 G6, we have been surprised to find a P 410i controller integrated with different cables and not adapted to a P800.
We have install ESXi 3.5 on the server (with its integrated card (P410i), we created a RAID 1 +0.
Now we want to replace the integrated card by the card P800, our consultant told us that we must break the RAID , we can not rempalcer card P410 by P800 card without breaking the RAID.

Are you okay?
3 REPLIES 3
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

If they have to break the RAID set, then I cannot see why they cannot try re-attach the drive cage to the P800 as the 1st attempt (after backup).

Besides, the selling point of SmartArray is the fact they can all understand data format despite of the SA model.

I never had to upgrade in such a way on SAS generation, but in the past SA641 and SA6404 will certainly work.

Hope that helps.
Learning never ends
EL YOUNSI

other question to HP :

Why HP or it's partners did not mention the need of a different cable for P800 ?

I think I m not the firest one that meet this problem
Gus Kwong
Respected Contributor

I have to agree with you, they could have included all the necessary tiny parts in the P800 controllers (just like the good old Compaq days) --- People spend quite a lot of money on these cards and I am sure they could have included that with slight inflated cost.

If you ever buy optional stuff for a ProLiant, best thing to do is to read through the entire section on the spec page (i.e. storage controllers section) http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13235_div/13235_div.html

Please kindly assign points if the post helps.
Learning never ends