4261 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA controller interconnect cable question

lc6606
Occasional Contributor

EVA controller interconnect cable question

I have 2 questions;

1. What type of information flows thru the controller interconnect cable and MP port?

2. What happen if the controller interconnect cable is broken; can both controller still function like normal?
5 REPLIES 5
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Re: EVA controller interconnect cable question

Hello,

which EVA model do you have ? The controller interconnect cable (in case of EVAs other than the 4400) is used for data like cache mirroring, synchronization, passing through read requests issued to non-owning controller etc. I haven't experienced an interconnect failure so far but I assume that it represents a serious condition as the above mentioned information is not passed between the controllers. However I am not able to say how the storage system reacts in that case.

J.
lc6606
Occasional Contributor

Hi J,

I have a eva4400.

Do u have any docs explaining the function of controller interconnect cable?

LC
Jozef_Novak
Respected Contributor

Hello (again),

EVA4400 is the only model that does not have an interconnect cable. The controller chassis is 2U in size, housing both controllers and the entire inter-controller communication goes through the chassis backplane.

J.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The interconnect cable was meant to enable a 'cross-kill'. One controller could force-reboot the other one. It wasn't functional at least on introduction.

The MP (Mirror-Port) is used for controller to controller communication, data transfers to the mirror cache and proxied reads.
The first generation EVA had one MP, but could fail over to one of the DP ports.
lc6606
Occasional Contributor

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments; it is all cleared now.