2802 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

HPE DL380 Gen 10 - MR416i-p - Global Spares

xdoctax
Occasional Visitor

HPE DL380 Gen 10 - MR416i-p - Global Spares

Hi All,

Quite new to hardware but have a fairly simply question.

Raid Controller is MR416i-p. Does a global spare work between enclusures?

I have enclosure 252, disks 1-7  Raid 5, Disk 8 Global Hot Spare.
I have enclosure 251, disks 1-2 Raid 1, Disks 3-5 Raid 5. Disk 6 can either extend the raid 5 or be a spare if need be.
Not sure if I need disk 6 to be global spare for this enclosure 251 or it will use disk 8 from the other 252 enclosure.

I feel like I would need a global hotspare for each enclosure but would love some confirmation.

Thank you so much for your time.
2 REPLIES 2
AmRa
HPE Pro

Re: HPE DL380 Gen 10 - MR416i-p - Global Spares

Hi There,

Thank you for the response.

You can create Global Spares using MR controller. Here are the details -

Configuring Spare settings
Procedure
1. From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > HPE MRXXX Gen10+ > Main Menu > Controller Management.
2. In the Controller Management screen, select Advanced Controller Properties .
3. In the Advanced Controller Properties screen, click Spare to configure the Spare settings.
4. In the Spare screen, enable or disable the following settings:
Persistent Spare - The option to have the system backplane or the storage enclosure drive slots dedicated as spare slots. If enabled, the replacement of a
spare drive in the same slot will automatically configure the drive as a spare.
Replace Drive - The option to copy data from a spare drive to a drive.
Replace Drive on SMART Error - The option to start a Replace operation if a SMART error is detected on a drive.
5. Click Apply Changes.

You can also assign a drive as Global spare using MRSA. https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a00095199en_us (Page 65)

StoreCLI can also be used for Hot spares - https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00048288en_us (Page 37)

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
Sunitha_Mod

Re: HPE DL380 Gen 10 - MR416i-p - Global Spares

Hello @xdoctax,

Let us know if you were able to resolve the issue.

If you have no further query and you are satisfied with the answer then kindly mark the topic as Solved so that it is helpful for all community members.

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo