1754926 Members
3061 Online
108827 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: mirroring Smart Array P400

Gerard Demers
Occasional Contributor

mirroring Smart Array P400

Is there a way to add a mirror to a drive on this non-disruptively? I'd like to add protection to my linux boot device while the server is running.
3 REPLIES 3
TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Hi Gerard,
Smart Array P400 supports online RAID Migration between any RAID Level.
Means if you have RAID 0 now then you can safely migrate it online to RAID 1 (some performance might be degraded during migration process)

However 512 MB BBWC (405148-B21) needs to be installed on the controller to enable this function.
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12400_div/12400_div.html
Addition of the battery backed cache upgrade enables BBWC, RAID 6 with ADG, array expansion, logical drive extension, RAID migration, and stripe size migration.

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">

marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmm p400 supports this when using cache and battery online via OS

but 512 MB BBWC (405148-B21) needs to be installed on the controller for optimal perf..

Addition of the battery backed cache upgrade enables BBWC, RAID 6 with ADG,and raid 6 is not a good option ,would never use raid 6 far to many good options out there..

In acu you can change rebuild status from default to high when out of production best you can expect with cache and battery is 1 gig every 15 mins that is online i would plan ofline and do it by booting from smart start cd , less overhead and much more reliable and less chance of getting end user issues etc and the dreaded battery cache errors are unlikely to be invoked if done offline ,online exasperates the cache issue like feks 1783..
enjoy gerard
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

This is how we thank in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)