1748289 Members
3341 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Moving from EVA to XP

Fredrik Uddin-Backman2
Frequent Advisor

Moving from EVA to XP

Im a fairly experienced EVA administrator, been running EVA since 2001 or 2002. If you were to move up to XP line of disk arrays, what are the "must haves" software wise. There are, like always, an array of software offers and most of them are very expensive. If doing a plain vanilla XP installation with say two XP24000 without any mirroring and snapshots but need to adress Easy management and Performance monitoring, what software do you need to choose? Any experienced XP admins out there?
6 REPLIES 6
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
the migration notes:
a) if you have Unix/Linux it can be done without any additional software via the LVM mirroring
b) otherwise the migration can be done also via the EVA as an External storage + XP BC/CA combination (depending on the number of XP)

the monitoring notes:
a) one tool for the upload the SVP config, (C-track) can be installed on SVP in a daily frequency
b) for the performance monitoring, there is the PAXP (Performance advisor) software...
the pain is one part of the reality
Fredrik Uddin-Backman2
Frequent Advisor

To clarify, I do not need advice regarding the actual moving of hosts from EVA to XP. I need advice what kind of mgmt tool you need in real life to manage and monitor an XP environment, my HP representative of course want to sell all of it
sreekanthtm
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

For managing purpose you can use command view XP, and for performance monitoring you can use XPPA (Performance Advisor).

>>>b) otherwise the migration can be done also via the EVA as an External storage + XP BC/CA combination (depending on the number of XP).

You cannot migrate data from EVA to XP using any of the above method.
You can take help of an external tape library (recomented), OR you can present LUNs from both XP and EVA to the same host and do simple Copy Paste.

Rgds
Sreekanth
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Note1 for Fredrik - Daily management (LDEV creation, LUSE creation/presentation, etc...
PAXP is the performance monitoring tool
RAID Manager, CommandView XP, or Remote XP console are the daily management tools

Note2 For Sreekanthtm
it can be done via the External storage:
a) configure the EVA as the External storage
b) CA/BC mirror the volume to the XP internal storage
the pain is one part of the reality
Ben Berger

Hi Fredrik,

PROGNOSIS (www.prognosis.com) is about to release a new off-board monitoring product for XP Arrays that will provide performance, capacity, and configuration monitoring.

It is a stand-alone product built on top of their standard infrastructure. PROGNOSIS is best known for monitoring solutions for HP NonStop and IP Telephony.

Many of their Fortune 500 customers have XP Arrays and asked them to build a new product to monitor them.

Demos are currently available - feel free to contact me at Ben /dot/ Berger / at / PROGNOSIS.com for more details.
Sivakumar MJ._1
Respected Contributor

Hi

For Managing XP24000 you need Commandview XP or Remote WebConsole and If you want the Thin Provisioning advantage, you can go for THp Licence and XP PA is must.

You donot require RAID Manager XP.

For Data Movement from EVA to XP I agree with IBaltay.

It can be done via the External storage:
a) configure the EVA as the External storage
b) CA/BC mirror the volume to the XP Internal storage