Disk Enclosures
1748198 Members
2679 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 2012i Dual Core Drive Replacement - ST3300656SS

cgf4

MSA 2012i Dual Core Drive Replacement - ST3300656SS

We have a drive failure and are using the Seagate SAS Cheetah 15k.6 300GB model # ST3300656SS. It says Dual Port on the case. These drives are no longer manufactured, although I can find some replacements. The new replacement model number is slightly different but appears to have the same specs (ST3300657SS) - and is cheaper. Can I use the newer drives with the existing older ones? I'm fairly new to this stuff so any help or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage Area Networks (SAN) (Enterprise) to Disk Array - HP Forums Moderator 

3 REPLIES 3
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 2012i Dual Core Drive Replacement - ST3300656SS

Hi, 

if you get the disks from HP and the yhave the same spare part number, you're good to go. Then they have been confirmed to work as replacements.

TarunJain
Respected Contributor

Hi Cgf4, Please check the HP Spare part number on disk. If it is same on both drives then they will work. You can check with Seagate if these are non HP.
Hope this will help
Cheers!!
Tarun Jain

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo
src="/html/assets/hpe_banner_SME_signature.p ng">

David_Schwartzs
Honored Contributor

The spare part numbers don't even necessarily have to match, as long as the capacity and speed match and you're using HP-approved drives.  Unless you're getting the drive replaced under warranty or carepack, you'll likely spend far less by looking up the part you need in this fashion via HP Quickspecs for the unit and seeing the drive you need is still available via retail purchase.  In this case, the 300GB 15K drive for a 2012i is HP part # AJ736A and is widely in stock at most national resellers.

The quickspec for the MSA 2000i can be found here for reference:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12992_div/12992_div.HTML

Regards,
--
David Schwartzstein
IT Channel Sales Expert / Solutions Architect

Currently looking for my next opportunity - http://www.linkedin.com/in/pctechyoda

If my post solves your problem, please kindly take a moment to mark my post as a solution. Thank you.