Disk Enclosures
1752713 Members
5894 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA 500 G1 non-clustered mode shared storage ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob Bell_1
Frequent Advisor

MSA 500 G1 non-clustered mode shared storage ?

I have a MSA500-G1 with the standard 2-port i/o module for server acceess to storage. Can this be used in non-clustered mode to allow two servers to use the array logical drives ? If not, can G1 use the G2 designated MSA500G2 4-Port I/O Module with Smart Array Multipath Software 335882-B21 to allow me 4 server access to the storage. Basically, I want to use this G1 for multiple servers, what are my options. Thanks !!
The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from one who does.
4 REPLIES 4
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Bob,

yes you can use it in non-clustered mode. But you must use Selective Storage Presentation to restrict access. Two non-clustered servers cannot access the same logical drive, otherwise you will get corrupted data.
The same goes for the 4-port module. AFAIK the G2 module should work in the G1 MSA500, but I can't say for definite. You don't need Multipathing software if you are connecting 4 servers, as they would all have just one connection.

Regards,
Stephen
Bob Bell_1
Frequent Advisor

Stephen,

First thanks for a response. I am a newbie to the MSA world and trying to maximize this 500-G1 usage. I was under the impression the the SSP was part of the multipath software, and not ACU ? So your saying that (at the moment with the two port standard) I can just make two logical drives and map to the servers via SSP to those drives. Correct ? Also, if I get the 4-port module, does that replace the 2-port or give me a total of six access paths to six logical drives ? In addition, does the acu allow any usage of the larger than the smallest drive in a raid-5/10 leftover space ? If I replace a radi5 36gb drive with a 73gb, can I do anything with the extra (typically wasted space) on these boxes ? Also, :),
In array/logical drive capacity expansion, is it all the drive or nothing scenario ?

Thanks..
Bob
The man who never makes a mistake always takes orders from one who does.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

SSP (Selective Storage Presentation, a.k.a. "LUN masking") is a feature of a storage array.

The ACU (Array Configuration Utility) is just the graphical user interface which allows you to change SSP on the MSA.

A multipathing solution lives in the operating system. It's usually a filter driver that shields the paths from the upper layer file system which does not know how to deal with them.

You can use disk drives with different sizes in a disk drive array, but the SmartArray controller in the MSA uses the smallest disk drive to calculate the available space. Any space on the larger disks CANNOT be used.
Rita Salim
Occasional Advisor

I have a question about the MSA500G2 with the 4-Port I/O Module, if my DL380G4 server is using the SA6i and SA642 to connect to the MSA500G2 SA6i connects to A1, SA642 connects to A2. There are 4 x 300GB disks in the MSA500GB created as a RAID 5. I haven't install any OS yet. But when I run the smartstart CD and run the survey, it will detect there are 8 hard disks and if i ran diagnostic, then different hard disks will show different error.
I want to know is there any properly steps to run diagnostic, when a server has two controllers connected to the MSA500G2. Or we have to disable one controller in order to run diagnostic?