Disk Enclosures
1752290 Members
5047 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Proliant 1600 Smart Array 3200 - Faulty Drive

BSTUK

Proliant 1600 Smart Array 3200 - Faulty Drive

Hi I hope someone outhere can help. I have a Compaq Proliant 1600 (550 MHz) with the Smart Array 3200 Controller. There are 3 9.1 Gb Ultra2 SCSI HDD's in a RAID 5 configuration (in black caddies).

The problem I have is that one of the drives has failed - I bought a replacement Drive shut down the server and configured the new drive with the same SCSI ID. I then placed the new drive into the server and booted up. Upon boot the SCSI controller brought up a message saying the new drive wasn't configured (NSS) but instead of rebuilding the array it said i needed ADU. However it would then not boot and sat on the all to familiar screen of "boot failure please replace disk and press any key to try again". I then shutdown removed the new disk leaving just 2 of the 3 RAID Drives in and the machine booted (with a warning that the disk was missing or faulty).

After boting i downloaded and installed ADU from the HP site and inserted the new disk but there was no option to rebuild the array.

Could someone please tell me how to replace the HDD and rebuild the array - do I need some special secret HP tool, or is there some weird combination of undocumented key press' that will allow me rebuild. Or am I just being an idiot ;)

Thanks

Pete
2 REPLIES 2
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 1600 Smart Array 3200 - Faulty Drive

Hi,

you don't need to shut down the server. If you have normal hotplug Compaq/HP disks, you just pull out the dead disk, wait about 30 seconds, insert the new disk, and the controller will rebuild the data automatically.

Use HP's Array Configuration Utility and it will tell you the status of any rebuild.

Regards,
Stephen
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Proliant 1600 Smart Array 3200 - Faulty Drive

But what was the part of your story; I "configured the new drive with the same SCSI ID"? The drives a SCA and require no configuration if they are hot plug. Lastly the replacement, as stated above, needs to replace the bad drive in the same slot, for the sympdom you are seeing is that the drive is not replacing the old one but is being set as a new drive needing to be configured in RAID.
Hot Swap Hard Drives