Disk Enclosures
1754817 Members
3448 Online
108825 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Replacing HDD on Smart Array 642 controller

Andrey Markov

Replacing HDD on Smart Array 642 controller

I run a HP ProLinat ML310 with Smart Array 642 controller and 2 x 36 GB HDD set in RAID- 1 volume. Now I need to replace these disks with 2 x 72 GB without losing the informaiton or re-installing the server. How can I do that?
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Andrey:

The way I understand it is if you fail one drive, and replace it with the new 72GB drive, then wait for it to rebuild... you can teh fail the second drive, replace with the 72GB drive and let it rebuild. After it is finished rebuilding, you have have the additional space available as "free space" in the array.

After which, you can then expand your logical drive(s). If you have multiple logical drives, you will be able to easily extend data drives using the diskpart.exe utility from Microsoft. If you want to extend your system/os drive, you will need a third party utility.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Andrey Markov

Thank, you, Steven, that's exactly what I intented to do. The problem is:
If I replace one of the 36 GB HDD with 72 GB HDD and let it rebuild, the available space on the 72 GB HDD will be 36 GB only, as it's a mirror of the other 36 GB HDD. If I replace the second 36 GB HDD anf let it rebuild, will the additional free space be available?
I run Windows 2003 Server Standard edition on that machine. After I complete the operation, shall I be able to see the additional free space on the new HDDs as Unallocated Disk Space in Disk Management in Windows?
e4services
Honored Contributor

That is exactly what you will see.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Again, according to what i know of it (though never actually did it), after you replace/rebuild the second drive, you should then have youe free unallocated space in the array which you can use to create a new logical drive, or expand your existing logical drive.

Taking it one step further... if your extending an existing logical drive that is used for data.. NOT your SYSTEM partition, then you can use diskpart.exe to extend the partition after you give it more space. If you want to extend your SYSTEM drive, you will need a thrid party piece of software. There wasa post with supposedly a "good" one for Windows Server OS. I will have to find it.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)