Operating System - HP-UX
1751974 Members
4879 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Failed to allocate internet-domain X11 display socket.

Matt Hearn
Regular Advisor

Failed to allocate internet-domain X11 display socket.

Hi all! We recently upgraded some of our 11.11 and 11.23 servers' SSH to 5.30.007. For one of them, when we try to connect via "Reflections," we get prompted for a password and then nothing happens. The error in the syslog is:

Apr 27 09:07:01 testbox sshd[1951]: error: Failed to allocate internet-domain X11 display socket

Google mentions a bug in Solaris, but nothing for HP. It seems to be working okay on our other HP servers, and oddly enough if I ssh from another server I get right in. Thanks!!!
1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Failed to allocate internet-domain X11 display socket.

"Reflections"? You mean "Reflection X", a Windows application that allows you to use X11 applications remotely, right?

When using SSH with X11 forwarding (like Reflection X would probably do), sshd attempts to allocate a TCP port in the 6010+ range. The first SSH user that requests SSH forwarding gets port TCP/6010 (DISPLAY=localhost:10.0), if that port is occupied, TCP/6011 is used instead, etc.

Apparently something prevents sshd from allocating such a port in your case. Are the ports 6010... occupied by something else?
(If you have lsof installed, run "lsof -i tcp:6010" to see if port 6010 is in use. If you don't have it, use "netstat -af inet" and look for port numbers 6010 and above in the "Local Address" column.

If you make a command-line SSH connection from another server (without using the -X option that requests X11 forwarding), the extra TCP port is not required and the connection will succeed.

MK
MK