6007 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

System Level Backup In HPUX

panks
Regular Advisor

System Level Backup In HPUX

Dear All,

I want to take the system level backup in hpux, how can I take that.
My requirement is if the system crashes then I should be able to recover from that backup.
May be the system imgae which I can pass to the system and exact replica of my system will be back.

Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: System Level Backup In HPUX

Hi:

You need Ignite for the operating system!

See:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/IUX/

Regards!

...JRF...
panks
Regular Advisor

Thanks for the link !! I have download the adminstration docs for ignite.

I will tell you my plan briefly, pls coment on the same.
I have AIX and HP-UX environment.
I have created the NFS share on one of the AIX server and mounted the same on all unix server. Now I want to dump the system image on this share for all servers.
I case of AIX I know it is mksysb command which will create the image.
Now checking for hpux, may be if you can tell me the short way of creating the system image and the way to restore it.

Otherwise I have to go all the way through manuals

Thanks
Shrikant Lavhate
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

In this scenario you have to go for Golden image in IGUX.
Create a backup image using IGUX i.e. make_tape_recovery on tape of fully installed system.
Then boot other system with this tape and continue with installation there. Also, you can take creating IGUX server under consideration to easy up your task.
I guess I have explained in very vage manner. Let the olymics out here comment on it!
Will it remain a personal, if I broadcast it here!
panks
Regular Advisor

Thanks for response !!
But I dont want to install the systems.
I have alreday installed systems I just want to take the system image of it and I want to take it on nfs share which I mounted locally on the every hpux system

Something like the AIX

SystemA# mksysb -i /nfsshare/systemA

This will create the image of the systemA on /nfsshare

Pls guide

Thanks
Shrikant Lavhate
Esteemed Contributor

>This will create the image of the systemA on /nfsshare

make_net_recovery is that you are looking for???

Use make_net_recovery if :

Managing central, networked systems

Cloning a "like system"

Avoid tape issues (media cost and handling, multi-tape archives, etc.)

Suitable disk space for archive storage

Performing unattended backups without tape handling

Will it remain a personal, if I broadcast it here!
panks
Regular Advisor

# make_net_recovery if
It is giving me the error that,
ERROR: Must specify the name of the Ignite Server.

I want to take the backup on /nfsshare directory of the system, what will be the command.
OldSchool
Honored Contributor

you might want to ask this question in the Ignite-UX forum. However, I will note that
make_net_recovery requires that a working "Ignite Server" is present / accessible in the network, and that that system be available when you need to restore. In addition, the ignite server must be installed on HP-UX system. It may be that the above requirements prohibit you from using it.

The "golden image" noted above can be used to install / recover hp-ux on more than one client, but requires configuration on the fly. You might be better served with a custom image (i.e. one image per server at can be installed w/o changes). That's easy enough to do

I tend to use make_tape_recovery instead. It creates a bootable tape that will restore the OS as it was at the time the tape was created and can do so without manual intervention.

Note that the installing a networked archive requires that the ignite server be available, as the server being recovered is actually booted across the network, then the image is installed. As far as I know, there isn't a way to install a networked archive directly from the box to be recovered.

The make_tape_recovery option most closely resembles installing AIX by restoring a mksysb tape.