Operating System - Linux
1753773 Members
5549 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

USB Devices not recognized in blade BL465 G6 (AMD Opteron) after installing Linux (kernel 2.4)

Delanhese

USB Devices not recognized in blade BL465 G6 (AMD Opteron) after installing Linux (kernel 2.4)

Hi,

After installing Mandrake Linux Kernel 2.4.37, the blade server BL465 G6 (AMD Opteron) does not recognize USB devices.

The kernel was compiled for Opteron architecture and configured with the EHCI and OHCI set to build-in mode.

I need help to solve this problem.

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: USB Devices not recognized in blade BL465 G6 (AMD Opteron) after installing Linux (kernel 2.4)

Kernel 2.4.37??? That's probably too old for BL465 G6. At least the standard 2.4.37.11 kernel does not support PCI Express bus standard at all - unless it was backported by Mandrake. And I guess backporting the support for an entire new bus architecture is a bit much to ask, even for a major Linux distribution.

HP Technical Exceptions Matrix tells BL465 G6 is supported by HP on RedHat Enterprise Linux versions 4.6 and above, 5.1 and above, and 6.0 and above. On SuSE Linux, the supported versions are SLES 10 SP2 and above, and all versions of SLES 11.

All those use a 2.6 series kernel: RHEL 4.x uses kernel version 2.6.9, but the requirement to use RHEL 4.6 or later probably means a lot of backported patches from newer kernel versions are required to make all the features work.

I suggest you install some more recent version of Linux, or perhaps VMware to your blade. If you really need Mandrake with a 2.4.37 kernel, run it within a Virtual Machine.

MK
MK