1756750 Members
3215 Online
108852 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

vim install question

Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

vim install question

This morning I installed vim on my rp32440 server which has HP-UX 11.23. I had been following the instructions the best I could until I got to the compile step. I am not sure what I am to do next. I created a depot and put the vim-7.1 along with all the decencies files into it. Then I performed a swinstall and installed all the programs. Here are the steps for the compile part.

To compile:
[Install atk, cairo, fontconfig, freetype, gettext, glib2, gtk+2, libiconv, ncurses, pango and zlib first!]
[Edit the HP-UX override section of configure for your site, particularly the prefix setting]
./configure
gmake

To test:
gmake test
[This should pass all the tests OK]

To install (usually as root):
gmake install

Thanks for the help.
4 REPLIES 4
TTr
Honored Contributor

Re: vim install question

> I created a depot and put the vim-7.1 along with all the decencies files into it.

How did you create the depot? The configure, gmake, gmake test, gmake install procedure implies that you are using the vim source code. This will build and install the vim package as a "standalone" installation without using swinstall.

Why don't you download a precompiled depot of vim from http://hpux.cs.utah.edu/hppd/hpux/Editors/vim-7.1/
Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

The website you gave me is the place I downloaded the vim program. The installation documentation says that I needed to download the file dependencies (the listed files) which I did and put them into a depot on my server using the following command.

swcopy -v -s /software/vim-7.1-hppa-11.23.depot -x enforce_dependencies=false \* @ /software/vim/depot

I swcopied all the files to the same location as well. Here is an example of that.

swcopy -v -s /software/zlib-1.2.3-hppa-11.23.depot -x enforce_dependencies=false \* @ /software/vim/depot

Once everything was swcopied into the depot that I created I did an swinstall to install all the programs. I followed the instructions until it got to the compile section. That is where I am having trouble. YOu are saying that I don't need to compile anything but the instructions are telling me I need to compile them. Can you check the instructions and tell me if I am reading too much into this or is there something that I am doing wrong.

Either way when I try to start vim I get an error.

root: /home/goldsmij ==> vim jefftest
/usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't open shared library: /usr/local/lib/libexpat.sl
/usr/lib/dld.sl: No such file or directory
Abort(coredump)
root: /home/goldsmij ==> cd /
TTr
Honored Contributor

> I followed the instructions until it got to the compile section.

If you downloaded one of the vim "Gziped binary depot"s you do not need to compile anything. It is already compiled and if you swinstalled it it is ready to go.

>/usr/lib/dld.sl: Can't open shared library: /usr/local/lib/libexpat.sl

This ierror is a SHLIB_PATH issue. One of the binary's is asking to load the /usr/local/lib/libexpat.sl explicitly from the /usr/local/lib subdirectory and the library file "libexpat.sl" is not there.

Either the libexpat.sl is in another subdirectory or you don't have it at all.

Most probably the latter. You need to download and install the expat libraries from the UTAH archive center.

Don't get discouraged if you find that after you resolve the expat dependancy you need additional packages.

Peter Nikitka
Honored Contributor

Hi,

vim and most or all other product depots from the porting center don't have an automatic selection of dependent products implemented: This is OK, because only that way HP can watch the different maintainers as separated and prevent "knots".

Having them all in one depot, install a product AND all its documented dependencies together.
Perhaps there are some undocumented left (vim is not such a candidate)- then it's perhaps time for a new thread!

mfg Peter

The Universe is a pretty big place, it's bigger than anything anyone has ever dreamed of before. So if it's just us, seems like an awful waste of space, right? Jodie Foster in "Contact"