3611 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

3Par 8440 setup

daren755
Occasional Visitor

3Par 8440 setup

Hello

I am setting up an HP 3PAR storage. I just configured zoning on the Brocade switch and it looks like the Brocade switch can see the host and the FC Cards, but the storage is still not presented to the host. 

Am I missing a step? I did all of the work on the switch. Do I need to configure the 8440 as well?

5 REPLIES 5
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: zoning

I'm not sure I understand. The Brocade switch needs to see the server and the 3PAR ports. Then zones are needed with the desired 3PAR port and server HBA. Finally the zones are added to a configuration which is saved and enabled.

Once that is done, you will see the server's HBA port WWNs at the 3PAR.
Create the host, create the virtual volume and present the volume to the host.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

daren755
Occasional Visitor

OK...thank you for breaking it down. 

The Brocade switch needs to see the server and the 3PAR ports. -This is seen

Then zones are needed with the desired 3PAR port and server HBA - Zones have been created

Finally the zones are added to a configuration which is saved and enabled - This has been saved and enabled

Once that is done, you will see the server's HBA port WWNs at the 3PAR- I can see the HBA ports and WWN's through the Brocade switch, I have not logged into the 3PAR 8440 as of yet. 

Create the host, create the virtual volume and present the volume to the host -  Presenting to a Windows2019 server, and cant see the volume storage on the Win2019 server

After configuring the Brocade, what must be done on the storage 3PAR? 

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Log in to the 3PAR, 'showhost' to see the unassigned PWWNs. 'createhost' to create an OS object assigning the host's PWWNs. Create the virtual volume, create the LUN between volume and host.

Read the HPE 3PAR Windows Server 2019, 2016, 2012 and 2008 Impl. Guide, QL226-10599a, Dec 2018. 
All the steps are documented there.

The Windows system will need the multipathing feature enabled, and then the 3PAR device type registered in Windows Multipathing. Finally reboot and rescan.

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

daren755
Occasional Visitor

Thank you...Ill take a look at that doc, and login to the 3PAR storage. (Not the Brocade...right)

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Think of an old-fashioned phone network with operators sitting in front of large panels with plugs and jacks connecting one to another. That's all the Brocade does; make connections between a host and the 3PAR.

Once the 3PAR can 'see' the host, the 3PAR needs to be configured to give a LUN to the host. 

Once the LUN is presented to the host, the host needs to be configured to make the partition.

Accept or Kudo