1752795 Members
5875 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

3PAR disk data erase

ReneFeitelson
Occasional Contributor

3PAR disk data erase

3PAR 8400 running 3.2.2-MU6.  We will be converting it from non-encrypted to encrypted.  We have the procedures for migrating data from old disks and SSDs to SED SSDs, including removing the spare chunklets and removing the remaining system chunklets.  Customer wants to wipe data from the old disks and SSDs before physically removing them.  The CLI Admin Guide says that dismisspd "performs a cryptographic erase on the drive".  Does dismisspd write binary zeros to the entire drive, or just to the disk header?  Would anyone be able to read ANY data from these disks after dismisspd? 

2 REPLIES 2
Mahesh202
HPE Pro

Re: 3PAR disk data erase

Hi

Thank you for coming on HPE Community Forums.

Please find the Answers mentioned accordingly.

Ques : Does dismisspd write binary zeros to the entire drive, or just to the disk header?
Ans  : dismisspd will not write zeros to entire drive

Ques : dismisspd will not write zeros to entire drive.
Ans  : No.

Hope this helps!!

Regards
Mahesh202

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

Re: 3PAR disk data erase

@ReneFeitelson wrote:

...The CLI Admin Guide says that dismisspd "performs a cryptographic erase on the drive". 

No, that's in the table of Data encryption commands for SEDs. The CLI Admin Guide says "After the sysmgr dismisses [dismisspd] the drive, it is cryptographically erased (provided data encryption was enabled)."

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo