1752793 Members
5968 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

R.O.I. on HPE storage technology refresh

Max2019
Frequent Visitor

R.O.I. on HPE storage technology refresh

Hi, my public sector customer has q.ty 3 3PAR7400 Storage and upgraded them with many SSD disk in the last 3 years. Now acquired q.ty 2 3PAR 8200 and just today discovered via HPE support that 3PAR 7400' SSD disks (HPE 3PAR StoreServ M6710 1.92TB SAS SFF (2.5in) Solid State Drive - E7Y57A) cannot be reused on 3PAR 8200. R.O.I. = 0

Someone has any ideas ? Unfortunatly we can propose "trade-in" or other commercial facilitates because customer has problems of "Disk Media Retention" and cannot return old disks.

Just today customer told us that will lock other storage solutions.

Regards, Massimo.

6 REPLIES 6
veeyarvi
HPE Pro

Re: R.O.I. on HPE storage technology refresh

Hello Max2019,

The model 8200 can support the drives with model E7Y57A.  So I am not sure what the exact issue the support pointed out indicating the old drives cannot be used in new arrays.

Could you give more details?

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Max2019
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for answer ! Following question & answer from TECHUB EMEA ITALIAN

Question:

one of our customers wants to upgrade their 3PAR 8200. He would like to buy a new enclosure "HPE 3PAR StoreServ 8000 SFF(2.5in) SAS Drive Enclosure - H6Z26A" and install it in, for each enclosure, q.tà 24 discs "HPE 3PAR StoreServ M6710 1.92TB SAS SFF (2.5in) Solid State Drive - E7Y57A". Does this configuration work? Is it supported and certified?

Answer

The p/n: E7Y57A corresponds to a drive for HPE 3par 7000, and cannot be used with a 3par 8200, and the amount of disks that can be installed in the additional enclosures depends on the number of enclosures and the type of configuration that exists. Please provide me with the serial number of the 3par in question, in order to be able to verify the existing configuration and suggest the most suitable amount of disks.

Have you documentation that corfirm we can use E7Y57A disks on 3PAR 8200 ? For me it's important news as the customer is really angry.

Regards, Massimo.

veeyarvi
HPE Pro

Hello Max2019,

Most of the drive models can be used in both 7000 and 8000 arrays. Only difference is the spare part numbers. They may differ in different platforms.

The SKU E7Y57A refers to 1.92 TB SSD SFF Drive generally for 7000.  There are a number of different model of drives under this category. (For example, in 7000 series DOPE1920S5xnNMRI, DDYE1920S5xnNMRI, AREA1920S5xnNTRI, ARFX1920S5xnNTRI etc). 

Please get the exact model number of the disk (showpd -i) and look iat the HPE 3PAR StoreServ 8000 Storage Drive Specifications (https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04895558) for the list of drives supported (page 7 onwards).

I am sure the modle will be listed in the same.

Please revert if you need any further help.

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Max2019
Frequent Visitor

Thanks a lot! I'll ask to the customer to list me model number and i'll check.

Regards, Massimo.

Max2019
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

customer answer to me that disks' model number  is DOPE1920S5xnNMRI. SANDISK. I checked on your link and seems to be supported. Who can officially answer to me that customer can install those disks as they are supported and certified on the 3PAR 8200 ?

Regards, Massimo.

veeyarvi
HPE Pro

Hello Max2019, The HPE documents are official and you can share the same with customer. And you can go back to the support team with this document for a clarification still. May be they overlooked the SKU - the drive model number is the correct one to check with for compatibility

I am an HPE Employee.
Accept or Kudo