1754402 Members
3203 Online
108813 Solutions
New Discussion

What to do when 3par storage used capacity is almost full: Part 1 - compactcpg

sbhat09
HPE Pro

What to do when 3par storage used capacity is almost full: Part 1 - compactcpg

As the hosts continuously write and remove data on different sections of the disks, there may be some unutilized space on the disks. You can realign the used disk space of a CPG with compactcpg command. This command will consolidate the logical disks (LDs) into as few LDs as possible. The system will reclaim the unused LDs space.

compactcpg provides dry run option to estimate the reclaimable free space before actually executing it. You can run 'compactcpg -dr <cpg_name>' to estimate the amount of free space you can squeeze. For compactcpg execution, run 'compactcpg <cpg_name>'.

From GUI, you can select the CPG, go to Actions and select 'Compact'. You can schedule compactcpg as well.

Note: Before initiating compactcpg, make sure there are no AO data movements or tunesys tasks are running simultaneously. If multiple data movement tasks (AO, tunesys and compactcpg) running at the same time, each task will take exponentially longer duration to complete.

If there are no such compactable LDs, then compactcpg will not help much.

Regards,
Srinivas Bhat

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!
Note: All of my comments are my own and are not any official representation of HPE.

hpe_3PAR.jpg

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo