1754978 Members
3309 Online
108828 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

A180 Fan failure, which fan?

Wayne Yu_1
Frequent Advisor

A180 Fan failure, which fan?

One of our HP A180 server recently keeps shutdown itself down. At the console, it left
message "Fan failure. Shutdown immediately".

We opened the A180 and all the fans are turning. We looked log files and could not identify which fan was wrong. Which fan could be the one cause the problem? Thanks for your help!
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: A180 Fan failure, which fan?

Check http://docs.hp.com/hpux/hw/index.html#A-Class%20Server and http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/Z4045-90002/Z4045-90002_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/Z4045-90002/00/00/19-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/Z4045-90002/00/00/19-toc.html&searchterms=fan&queryid=20030712-043058
I've found message "WARNING: FAN FAILURE HAS BEEN DETECTED. THE SYSTEM WILL BE POWERING DOWN. PLEASE CALL YOUR SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE" means "A chassis fan failure requires replacing the EBU."
Unfortunately EBU is 'exchange base unit', it's simply whole server...
Eugeny
Wayne Yu_1
Frequent Advisor

The message is exactly we saw. I could not believe we need to replace the whole server simply for a fan failure. But I suspect the
fan was not failed. My experience with fan failures mostly have noise associated with them. After a while, the fan will stuck. In this case, the fan are still turning happily...
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

From GSP type SL and select Error and Console logs for more details.

Regards,
Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Wayne Yu_1
Frequent Advisor

I found the fan type is D6025H12B by United Pro in New Zealand. That fan is hard to find, replacing them will be a lot of trouble, too. I could not see any fan not turning. Must be the turning speed not fast enough so that the server thinks at least one of them dead.