HPE 9000 and HPE e3000 Servers
1753316 Members
5413 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

connecting keyboard and mouse to rp2470...

SOLVED
Go to solution
Bob Mendes

connecting keyboard and mouse to rp2470...

After a buyout and moving all our servers, we cannot locate any of the original cables. After some research I was able to obtain (what I believe to be) the correct SCSI connectors, however I do not see any standard keyboard or mouse ports.

It seems likely that the rs232 port would be used but I don't see how and cannot locate the original keyboard or mouse for any clue.

Can anyone help?
8 REPLIES 8
Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor

Re: connecting keyboard and mouse to rp2470...

Hi Bob,

Check this doc for more info.

http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/rp24xx_basic_cable-en.pdf

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Bob,

rp2470 has two options for console connection

1) serial connection via included W-cable adapter (DB25 to 3xDB9)

2) LAN console connection (telnet)

rp2470 has no built in ports for keyboard and mouse.

If you want have local graphics with keyboard and mouse, you must buy A6150B bundle (PCI graphics/PCI 2 port USB)

Regards,
Zygmunt
Bob Mendes

Thank you both very much for your help. I think I am all set now. I was too dumb to figure out the answer based on the first response, but the second one connected the dots for me perfectly. :)
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor

Hi Bob,

if you don't have A5191-63001 ├в W├в adapter cable, you can make yourself an adapter
DB25(M) to DB9(F) with the following pinouts:

DB25(M) --- DB9(F)
2 --- 2
3 --- 3
7 --- 5

DB25 end you must connect to rp2470, and the DB9 end you can connect to PC and run terminal emulator.

Regards,
Zyg
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Even if you had the graphics card for the rp2470, you would need to use the LAN console or serial port for the console as the graphics don't work until the OS is booted and running CDE.
Mom 6
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor

Note for Ted's answer:

The graphics for rp2470 has integrated terminal emulator (ITE), so if you set up proper path for console, you can use the graphics, keyboard and mouse as console.

Regards,
Zygmunt
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

Thanks for the correction. I was assuming that since it used the same graphics card as the rp54x0 it would work the same. I appreciate the correction.
Mom 6
Bob Mendes

Thank you all so much for your help!

For what it's worth, Zygmunt Krawczyk accurately pointed out that you CAN use a standard keyboard, mouse and monitor IF you have a graphics card and two port usb card which these servers do. That is how these servers were originally configured. I am a windows desktop support person so this setup was completely foreign to me (i.e. no ps/2 ports). The "console" setup was, in this case, a red herring.

Cheers,
Bob