1752407 Members
5725 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Console MAC address

Seth Clarke
Frequent Advisor

Console MAC address

Can anyone tell me how to find the MAC address of the Management/Console card when all you have is shell access through SSH. I think this would also be called the ILO. Through SAM you can see the MAC addresses of the NICs but I'm not sure which is for the console.

HP-UX B.11.31 U 9000/800
rp7420
4 REPLIES 4
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Console MAC address

>when all you have is shell access through SSH

I don't think you can. You have to be on the console and use MP commands.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The MP/Console card is a separate computer and must be setup using a real terminal. You can see the MAC address on the sticker next to the LAN connector. Otherwise, just hook up a terminal or PC with the correct serial cable. If this is remote, welcome to the club for MP/GSP goofs. The MP/GSP port is very special and absolutely required to support HP-UX, especially in a remote system. Ideally, it will not be connected to the primary network for security reasons.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
YAQUB_1
Respected Contributor

Hi Seth,

I think so Ur not familiar with HP-UX platform. BTW, I have passed you HP9K pdf file for how U can configure MP/GSP card (Pls send Ur email address, because this pdf size more than 1MB). When U have successfully logging MP main menu then U execute MP> cm (cm=command menu) then MP:CM> ls (ls=lan status).

That time U see MP LAN MAC address.

Hope for the best!!!

Rgds ├в Yaqub
HP Support!!!
Seth Clarke
Frequent Advisor

I know how to do this via MP access but when you are remote and do not have console access is when I want to find out the MAC of the management port. If there is no way then I'll have to physically be there, which is what I want to avoid. Thanks