1755747 Members
1661 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Dead K580

Andrew Weiss
Occasional Advisor

Dead K580

Several weeks ago the data center in which I work experienced a power failure due to electrical work and an OOPS on the UPS systems (a screw up basically). The only system not to come up was a K580. After a night of trouble-shooting, replacing the two external SCSI cables did the trick... I was called back in tonight on the same machine, however, which is now constantly booting... passing tests... booting the OS and page faulting FLT B800.

The unit has NO console output... even after swapping the Core I/O board from another unit. The MDP test led is on amber and never turns off. My theory is the system board... any thoughts? There are warnings that are not in my K-Class service manual before the reboot...

WARN EFFF and WARN E000... also during tests there is a warning in the middle about no alternate console present. I've tried other consoles as well.
"Gum is not a food."
4 REPLIES 4
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Re: Dead K580

Launch STM and excercise your memory.

FLT 8x00 means "Error in IOA RAM Test"

Here are the FLT codes for a K Class.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/components/FileAttachment/0,,0x1f8e84534efbd5118ff40090279cd0f9,00.htm#Front Panel Display Codes
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Andrew Weiss
Occasional Advisor

Keep in mind I already know what the error means, and I have a K series / HP 3000 / HP 9000 service manual.

The error I got was not an 8x00 but a B800...OS panic... and I could not run anything because I had no console. I was completely blind.

We had our parts source go ahead and source a system board because I had theorized that the power outage the datacenter had two weeks ago which killed the hvd scsi system had partially crashed the power attendant which drained the battery on the system board (akin to the famous PMU crash on a Powermac). Sure enough replacing the system board fixed the issue (the Core IO was fine).
"Gum is not a food."
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Looks like kernel can not load itself... try booting from CD in recovery mode, try booting into ISL and then 'hpux ll' to list all the files in the /stand checking their size and creation date and finally booting vmunix.prev. Of course you need console or w2k PC connected with hyperterminal running
Eugeny
Steve Bardell
Advisor

I think the problem has nothing to do with the other replies, this system will still get console with defective memory, and viewing the console doesn't require the operating system. My first guess would be to try checking the cables for the terminal, on both ends to make sure they're properly connected. Then I would try the terminal on another machine to ensure that this terminal is working 100%, maybe make sure it is set to the correct terminal mode, HP or EM100 not sure which off hand. If this doesn't work my next step would be to change the Core I/O, which you've already done, leaving the last move, changing out the system board.

Please let me know if these work for you.
Remember people, answering questions without a little knowledge can make it hard for the person asking to get the correct answer.