New Discussion юеВ

EISA 8 port RS-232 MUX system card J2482A

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

EISA 8 port RS-232 MUX system card J2482A

Hello,

I've got to make a new offer for an old HP-UX server (D210). The new server will be an rp5430.

The old server has an 'EISA 8 port RS-232 MUX system card' (part number J248A2). By which part number must this be replaced in the new server (I guess J2484A)? What does such a MUX card do?

regards,
Kurt

3 REPLIES 3
James Anker
Valued Contributor
Solution

Re: EISA 8 port RS-232 MUX system card J2482A

Kurt,

The MUX card allows you to connect RS232 type devices to the server, these are typically Printers, Modems etc

The RP5430 would require the following:

1 A6748A PCI 8 port serial MUX adapter
8 J3830A MUX RJ45 to HP-DB25 converter

But to be honest it really depends on what your connecting to the MUX i.e. are the RJ45, DB25 or RS232 etc dictates what cables you need on the mux output cable.

Cheers

Jim

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The MUX connects serial devices (modems, terminals, printers, ... ) to the host. In fact, in the dim mists of time, this was the way to connect users to a box --- before the newfangled ethernet (or token ring) stuff can along.

Be warned, the RJ45 connectors are 10-pin as opposed to the typical 8-pin RJ-45 connectors commonly available. Also, the DB25 pinouts are very non-standard so don't be surprised if a custom cable is needed to connect your MUX DB-25 ports to serial devices especially if you need hardware handshaking.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

The MUX connects serial devices (modems, terminals, printers, ... ) to the host. In fact, in the dim mists of time, this was the way to connect users to a box --- before the newfangled ethernet (or token ring) stuff came along.

Be warned, the RJ45 connectors are 10-pin as opposed to the typical 8-pin RJ-45 connectors commonly available. Also, the DB25 pinouts are very non-standard so don't be surprised if a custom cable is needed to connect your MUX DB-25 ports to serial devices especially if you need hardware handshaking.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.