108869 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: GSP hangs during OS login

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lonny Balderston
Frequent Advisor

GSP hangs during OS login

When I access the GSP via telnet or HTTP (direct-connect or dialin not yet set up), I am
prompted for userid/password, can log in, then ^B for console, then ^Ecf for write access. I am then prompted for OS access, can enter userid/password, but then GSP hangs. At this point, only ^B has any effect (message: leaving console mode), but at this point I no longer get any response to input. I had set GSP terminal type to VT100 when attempting to connect a console terminal (which did not respond), perhaps this setting is the problem? I can break out of the GSP session to a telnet prompt and close the session, and must then reset the GSP before retrying. Any ideas?
8 REPLIES 8
Ken Hubnik_2
Honored Contributor

There is a known problem with a certain firmware version of the GSP. Contact your HP CE and he can update the firmware. This fixed our problem.
S.K. Chan
Honored Contributor

Yes sounds like you need to upgrade your GSP firmware. Afetr you have reset your GSP check for it's firmware rev level.
GSP> he
If you got A.01.09 or lower make sure you get it updated to A.01.10. I got a couple of my L2000 that is still on A.01.09, it never showed any problem until I tested the access via telnet to its lan console. It's best to call HP response center.
Hamdy Al-Sebaey
Regular Advisor

hiMahlon,

I gree with chan,you need to reset you GSP,if it work then everything is Ok, the old version works well, but it well be better to upgrade your firmware,

Regards,
Hamdy
Thanks for sharing knowledge
Lonny Balderston
Frequent Advisor

Thanks guys, but that's not it:
Firmware Revision B.02.07 Oct 17 2001,14:49:35
The attention light is flashing, HP said to check the GSP log (which is tough when the GSP hangs); I was finally able to get it, found only this: ALERT LEVEL: 2 = Non-Urgent operator attention required SOURCE: 8 = I/O
SOURCE DETAIL: 9 = serial SOURCE ID: 0
PROBLEM DETAIL: 3 = functional failure
I am not sure what this means.
Xavier Gutierrez_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi.

That means the serial bus on the GSP is not working.

Did you have the GSP replaced lately?

If so, seems you had an "A" rev. GSP and now you have a "B" rev. GSP. When this happens, you need to change the Console Path at the PDC of the server from 0/0/4/0 to 0/0/4/1.

Let me know if this helps...

Best regards.
Lonny Balderston
Frequent Advisor

GSP has not been replaced. Perhaps I am just confused here. Connecting to the GSP via telnet or HTTP and hitting RETURN after assuming console control (^Ecf) starts an HP-UX session, which hangs. I just read that "session" is only valid for local/remote access. Perhaps if I just avoid start of OS session (by using ^B to get to GSP prompt), this will not be an issue. Thank you all for your responses.
Silvino Cardoso_1
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hi,

You need to upgrade your GSP firmware to revision B.02.14. Call HP Response Center for that.

regards
Lonny Balderston
Frequent Advisor

We will not upgrade until after the first of the year. Thank you for your response!