1752299 Members
5123 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How to change a motherboard HP 9000 rp2400 Server

RDoleman

How to change a motherboard HP 9000 rp2400 Server

Hi All,

i've got to change a motherboard on a HP 9000 rp2400 Server tomorrow and haven't done it before, is there a document anywhere with step by step instructions?

thanks in advance

Rich
7 REPLIES 7
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Rich,

If you are a service provider, you should have access to the "Authorized Service Provider Information"

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/hw.html#HP%209000%20rp2400%20Server%20%28A400%20and%20A500%29

Best regards,
Robert-Jan
RDoleman

Hi I tried that but my boss is away and they've changed the password. I've got to go 1st thing tomorrow and i don't want to wing it (if you know what i mean)
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi,

its pretty straight forward to replace the board, you have to remove almost every other board though, pci card cage comes out in one lump. change processor and memory and set the switches up right.

The bit your likely to have problems with is setting the board up with the correct model string and if the mac address needs changing and such like for software dependencies.

Hp do this with a special tool.

it all depends upon which of the 2400srs it is and where the board has come from. If its new from hp its probably configured as a 2405, but if you want it to be a 2430/2470 then its going to need reprogramming or you may find all slots dont work.

Andy

RDoleman

Thanks for your help Andy, i'll report when i get back!!!!
RDoleman

Hi Guys,

it was pretty longwinded but straightforward in the end. The power supply adjustment to remove the Motherboard caused the most frustration, hidden screws are always a pain.

Thanks for the help Andy
njia_1
Trusted Contributor

Hi RDoleman,

After you changed the MB you should go to service menu of GSP and update the serial number of the MB.

There is a hind command ss_upgrade or ss_update I can not remember, it is locked by a password.

If you do not do this, then that is a different server to HP.
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Just to amplify the answer about ss_config: the machine's ID number is used for licensing software and the program requires HP to run it. When the system boots up, the uname -i number may be negative, very small or just a few digits.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin