1755840 Members
4033 Online
108838 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: K-class servers and fibre support

Jimmy Tom_1
Advisor

K-class servers and fibre support

I've a bunch of K-Class servers that I like to get fibre channel support on. They are running HP-UX 10.10 and 10.20. Can I get any fibre support on them or do I need to upgrade my OS to 11x. What fibre cards can I buy that will work on 10.10 and 10.20?

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
paul courry
Honored Contributor

In general,

K class boxes will take Fiber cards, anything past 10.20 10/97 will support them.

I suggest that you spec this out with the salesman to make sure that al the bases are covered. Only one salesman? Tsk, tsk. Get a couple of 3rd party reburbishers to give bids, check the other guys work and grind the price down.

Paul, i generally right in his answer, but do notice that IF you want to have your K-class's hooked into a switch-fabric network you will need to upgrade to 11x and replace existing (if any) FC cards with the new A6681A (i'm just 95% sure this is the correct part number). HP will replace them for USD 1000 and a tradein of your old FC cards(s). Pricing was given to my by HP Norway and may differ at your location.

Lars
Jimmy Tom_1
Advisor

Ok, just to summary the answer. If I want to connect my K servers to a switched fibre SAN, I will need to upgrade to HP-UX 11x and use the newer Tach-Lite cards.

But does HP-UX 10.20 or 10.10 support fibre at all?

Thanks

melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

10.10 does NOT support FC, 10.20 does.

For SAN yoiu will have to go to 11.x and probably change your cards/driver
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Jimmy Tom_1
Advisor

With the Tach-Lit card, A6685A, there will be a Phase-II release, May 2001 for the HP-UX 10.20. Does this mean I can use the A6685A card and still keep HP-UX 10.20 in a SAN environment?

Thanks
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Frankly, I consider it something of a miracle that there is Tachlite support for HSC at all :) Until about 48 hours ago I was convinced that there would not be any HSC Tachlite-based cards. Certainly, no-one should expect to get "linkrate" on those cards in D's or K's.

As for 11.X versus 10.20, my suggestion is 11.X. Fabric login support for 11.X has been present for a reasonably long time and is probalby more stable than the 10.20 stuff would be. Of course, that is just a personal opinion.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
Andreas Fibiger
Occasional Advisor

I believe that with HP-UX 10.20 8/97 or later (or 11.x) you are supported with FC cards. The Product A3404A (P/N J2389-60001) is a HSC Fibre Channel, and is probably the ones you need.
Scott McIntosh

A3404A
....Kxxx except K100
....HP-UX 10.20TFC and HP-UX 11.x
....FC-AL private loop only
....FC boot with HP-UX 11.x only

A6685A
.....Kx60/Kx70/Kx80 only
....HP-UX 11.x (HP-UX 10.20TFC planned for May)
....FC-AL private loop, FC-AL public loop, and FC-SW
....FC boot, with HP-UX 11.x only, planned for May-Sept