108830 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

K260 disk jumper setting

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jannik
Honored Contributor

Re: K260 disk jumper setting

the connecter is a 68pin connector so i think it is the correct FW disks, at least i have ordered it from a HP partner.
Tnx for all the information!
jaton
Andrew Rutter
Honored Contributor

hi jannik,

I was going from the information you supplied above on the disks been se scsi.

The A3352A or A3352-6x00x drives are all sescsi, also can tell from the seagate part number you gave.
These are compatible with the older 800 series machines and not for the k classes.
The seagate drives that end with N are all sescsi 50pin drives and you need ones that end with W or WD.

Andy
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Very important: your new disks CANNOT be standard SCSI disks--they must be high-voltage FWD disks. This is the only version of SCSI that is not compatible with any other version of SCSI controllers. Virtually all disk manufacturers supply jumper information online. If you have a Seagate disk, just go to their website and search for the ST----- number on your disk. Your existing disks can provide a base for the jumpers.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dave Unverhau_1
Honored Contributor

Jannik:

Please regard the sage advice of Mr. Rutter & Mr. Hassel -- they speak the truth!

The K260 has two internal SCSI busses. One bus is single-ended (SE) and the other is fast-wide-differential (FWD). SE and FWD SCSI devices are not electrically compatible. (In some cases, they are not pin-compatible, either.)

In the K260, the internal hard disks are connected to the FWD bus and the CDROM (and DDS tape drive, if you have an internal one) are connected to the SE bus. You really don't want to connect the "new" disks to the SE bus, as performance will be poor, and they won't work at all connected to the FWD bus. (In fact, as pointed out previously, nothing will work on the FWD bus if the SE devices are added, and the potential exists to damage the bus and almost certainly, the SE disks!)

The new drives you described are definitely SE SCSI, if the product IDs are as you stated. For more info on SCSI, specifically for Seagate drives, have a look here:
http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/index_faq.html#SCSI

If you bought these drives from a reputable dealer and they were sold as add-ons for the K-series internal bus, that dealer should take back the SE drives and sell you FWD drives instead.

Best Regards,

Dave
Romans 8:28
Ted Buis
Honored Contributor

FWD SCSI disks unfortunately have 68 pin connectors the same as for most current SCSI disks even if they are not electrically compatible, so don't just look for a connector that fits. Manufacturers stopped making and selling new FWD drives several years ago, so if it is new drive you can be sure that it is not FWD. Also, and drive whose capacity is 72GB or higher is definitely not FWD SCSI. An alternative is to get a FC HBA for the K260 if you have a free HSC slot and an external DS2405 enclosure and FC disks.
Mom 6
Jannik
Honored Contributor

I have no received 2 new disks ... They are ST34371WD (4.2GB) will they work?

INFO:
http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st34371wd.html

I'm very happy to have sage help, since this is a productions system and i only get one change to replace/add the parts :-).
jaton
Jannik
Honored Contributor

I see that Andrew Rutter answered that question so sorry i will close this question.

Tnx to you all!!

Now i just need to take the system down and make the disk add :-)
jaton