1758383 Members
2787 Online
108868 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: performance with L3000

Pat Novak_1
Occasional Contributor

performance with L3000

We have an environent where an L3000 is being used as a veritas Media server,and a strange occurance is going on when we access more than 4 LTO drives, disk i/o performance goes down greatly. The L3000 has 10 slots, but apparently 2 of them are shared-bus, so they only use the 8 non-shared ones. 4 are for the Tape HBAs (remember they're attaching 2 SCSI LTO drives to a single fibre HBA using a router), and 4 are for disk attachment. As they scale beyond 4 tape drives, performance of the DISK degrades.
My question is is this a L3000 architecture question or where do I go from here
3 REPLIES 3
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Actually, they all share the same bus. BUT, a few slots are just PCI slots, while the others are turbo PCI.

I believe it's a veritas and a hardware design issue, but that's just my opinion.

Also, make sure you have your machine up to date in patches.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Pat,
do you have HP Surestore Galactica LTO libraries (2/20, 4/40, etc)? It's hard to understand your configuration and hardware used (FC router?). Anyway first I would like you to check are:
- LTO firmware. Install HP Library and Tape Tools or use STM;
- make sure host provides at least 15MB/s to each drive. If value is less, LTO drive will feel not good and live not too long
- check disks' firmware (or disk array if applicable)
Eugeny
rick jones
Honored Contributor

There are something like 4 or 5 single-slot (aka non-shared) PCI slots in an L Class system. I believe they are the top N slots in the box. These would correspond to the slots labled "twin turbo"

I am confident that there are not 8 non-shared bus PCI slots in an L Class.

The remaining slots are on shared PCI busses. These may be labled "turbo"

One way to see if a slot is on a shared bus is to look at the hardware paths.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows