1748069 Members
5147 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: S Class CPU's

Dave Forber
Occasional Advisor

S Class CPU's

Sorry about a similar question again - done a search and not found what I'm looking for.

We have a couple of S Class (9000/800/S16K-A) servers with 8 CPU's, currently running on just 4. Does this class of server have an option to turn on these while up or is it a case of re-enabling at GSP and rebooting?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Carlo Corthouts
Frequent Advisor

My guess is that you have to have an HP engineer enable them again or did you disable them yourself?
Simon Hargrave
Honored Contributor

I assume these are iCOD CPU's, in which case you'll need to buy the "right" to use them from HP before they can be enabled. They'll then give you a code to enable them.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

To clarify Simon's answer: if the CPUs are iCOD-controlled, they can indeed be activated while the system is running.
MK
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Dave,

As pointed out, it all hinges on whether ICOD (Instant Capacity On Demand) is involved. If you purchased (or leased) these with the ICOD program, then by all means - if you cut HP a check they'll be glad to turn on every CPU you've now paid for. IF you leased or purchased these straight out - w/o ICOD inplay then you'll need to reboot & turn 'em on at the BCH level.
You may want to talk to HP about a different vesion of ICOD that turns 'em ALL on & you pay for an *average" CPU usage per month. IMHO, I'd take this one *every* time because one hardly ever uses 90 - 100% CPU usage. Just a thought.

Rgds,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!