1760163 Members
3368 Online
108891 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Serial Numbers

Geno Church
Frequent Advisor

Serial Numbers

Is there a way to pull the serial numbers from a system while it is online? We have a couple of G Class servers where the serial numbers are gone off the back. I can't get it from SSConfig either. Is there a script to run or can it be pulled from the kernel? Please help if you have any suggestions. Thanks! Of course STM will not work either :(
Real Eyes Realize Real Lies
14 REPLIES 14
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Serial Numbers

As far as I know there isn't anyplace in the system that the serial # is kept.

The closest you might be able to come is if you have Ignite/UX installed. It MIGHT have the serial #, but I doubt it. Mine doesn't list it anywhere.

If the serial # isn't on the box anywhere, I think you pretty much out of luck.
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

On newer servers you can extract tyis uswing STM. Sadly, the G-class are far too old for this, and there is no way that I know of to extract the serial number from this machine.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

On a G-class you might find it within the machine, but you have to remove the back panel - no guarantees though. If it has ever been under support by HP, they will have it - by name. HP might be able to track it down by CPU serial number. How did the serial number get removed, because it's literally stamped to the back (not a peel off).

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

if you have ignite on the system, try this:

/opt/ignite/bin/print_manifest

HTH
mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
Geno Church
Frequent Advisor

I just got through looking in the manifest.info from ignite. Nothing for the s/n.
Real Eyes Realize Real Lies
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Geno,

As said, the G-class, as well as the H's, and I's don't have the serial number available to the OS anywhere. And on the newer servers, it's still not trust worthy.

Did you ever have HP service these machines? If so, I bet your local CE or SE might have it.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Carlos Fernandez Riera
Honored Contributor

The mac address of lan0 was used as S/N for systems before N & L, i.e: by ignite.

You can use it.
unsupported
Mark Greene_1
Honored Contributor

Geno,

what version of HP-UX are you running? The manifest on my 11.0 system diplays the serial and order number at the top of the listing, but not on my 10.20 system. Sorry, I should have check and specified which worked before posting.

If you do not have the packing list that came with the system, contact the vendor from whom you purchased it, they should still have a copy of the packing list, and the serial number would be on it.

mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

There is no HP-UX way to do this for older systems. The ss_config program takes a portion of the serial number plus other codes for opsystem and user count, etc, to form the uname -i ID string. So even if you could decode the string, it would only be a portion of the true serial number.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin