New Discussion юеВ

Re: Business copy snapclone for backup

SOLVED
Go to solution
Patrick_82
Advisor

Business copy snapclone for backup

Hi,

I wanna to plan a D2D2T backup solution with Business copy snapclone on EVA4000. I split the pair LUN and the slave LUN is mounted by backup server. It can finish the backup job. but I have a question, May I automatic to finish the D2D2T job with backup software?

Patrick
7 REPLIES 7
Ian Vaughan
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Have you looked at HP's own Data Protector software?

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/storage/software/dataprotector/index.html

AFAIK the EVA integration will pretty much do what you are looking for. It is designed to co-operate with Business copy and backup the newly mounted snap.

HTH
Ian
Hope that helps - please click "Thumbs up" for Kudos if it does
## ---------------------------------------------------------------------------##
Which is the only cheese that is made backwards?
Edam!
Tweets: @2techie4me
Patrick_82
Advisor

Data protector can't do it automaticly. I think how to mount the slave LUN automaticly is a big problem.
avik
Valued Contributor

why would you want the snapcloned lun to be mounted on anyother host except the backup server?

I am not a data protector expert, but I guess this can be achieved if you have SSSU in the backup server that can both initiate the snapclone job and lun masking.
avik
Valued Contributor

snapclone is an offhost lun duplication method.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Data Protector can do this using Pre and post exec scripts as well as utilizing the more expensive licensed features involving EVA Integration.

Let;s not confuse the topics here though. Why would you want to use a snapclone if you are doing a Disk to Disk to Tape Backup?

D2D2T is.. taking files from one disk, putting them on another disk... and later putting them to tape. Snapclone isn't all together different, but not exactly the same thing either.

Snapclone involves an exact replica of a particular Virtual Disk where D2D involves some pre-allocated Virtual Disk(s) that act as Tape Storage devices to allow a faster backup of the data to a location that allows for quick restores and/or the ability to backup data outsid your normal window.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Patrick_82
Advisor

Hi Steven,

The case is a mistake plan but it's not my company case. The customer hope me to slove his problem. Could you give me the script for automaticly backup on backup server which is data protector or Veritas BE. pre-start.bat for starting clone,splite and mounted by backup server. post-end.bat for dismount,re-sync clone. I don't know whether the backup software need to purchase another lincese like zero down time.

Thanks!
Patrick
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You can use pre/post exec scripts in DP with no extra license. They are configured during backup job configuration and would involve utilizing SSSU to perform the automated snapclone/deletions required in the script. I do not have anything handy with me at the moment, but probably don;t have anything at all based on your configuration. I would probably end up writing new scripts for your specific environment, which honestly... I do not have the time to do, nor do I have the full knowledge of the environment to properly write the files.

Best I can do is offer some tips as to the process and how SSU works, etc.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)