New Discussion юеВ

Copy Windows 2003 Server from one EVA to another

SOLVED
Go to solution
Oliver_M
Occasional Contributor

Copy Windows 2003 Server from one EVA to another

Hi All,

I have to copy some Windows 2003 Server from one (older) EVA to another (newer) EVA.
Is there any tool to do this? I read some about "Business Copy EVA", the bad thing: we don't have this license between this EVA's.

Is there a tool such paragon partiton manager (which can deal with the QLogic HBA!!) to copy alle the data over the san? configure san to see both EVA's and copy from one partition to the other.

thx for help!!

Regards,
Oliver
6 REPLIES 6
V├нctor Cesp├│n
Honored Contributor

Re: Copy Windows 2003 Server from one EVA to another

I understand that you have the servers configured to boot from the SAN, and Windows installed on a LUN in the EVA.
To replicate a vdisk from one EVA to the other the license needed is for Continous Access. You can install Command View 7 and it will give you a temporary license valid for 6 months. This will allow you to make a exact copy of a vdisk from one EVA to the other.

The other possibility is pressenting the vdisk on the old EVA and a blank vdisk of the same size on the new EVA to a host and use a cloning software to copy everything. You must be sure that it can handle disks connected through fiber.
Oliver_M
Occasional Contributor

yes, boot from san is right. Continuous Access, thx *googling* ;)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

You could also map the source and destination virtual disks to a Linux/Unix server and perform a simple block copy using "dd".
Oliver_M
Occasional Contributor

what do you think about a gzipped tar? are there any problems about the file permissions?

dd: somethink like dd if=/dev/sda1 of=/dev/sdb1 (from one lun to the other one)?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor
Solution

I don't think "tar" really understands all NTFS characteristics, so I would not use it.

I rather thought about something like like:
# dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=65536

(make the destination disk as large as the source disk and let "dd" copy the partition table as well)

I have used this trick to copy some virtual disks containing VMware VMFS volumes between two EVAs, worked fine.
Adam Garsha
Valued Contributor

Has anyone ever used dynamic disks (e.g. UNIX style) mirror/allow-sync/break-mirror/done?