108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

EVA5000 cannot communicate with controller

SOLVED
Go to solution
jorgen325
Frequent Advisor

EVA5000 cannot communicate with controller

I have an EVA5000. Mirror broke so I had to start from scratch. Have Server 2003 and Command View, SSSU.
I am going nuts trying to troubleshoot the controller. I do not anything about how it is configured. I inherited this problem and the EVA itself hasn't been used in at least a year. What can I do to troubleshoot this?
19 REPLIES 19
jorgen325
Frequent Advisor

Re: EVA5000 cannot communicate with controller

SSSU: ls system "No Systems Found"
CV: Operation Failed! No controllers found
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Do you know what state the EVA5000 is in itself ?

If it is working correctly, the two controllers should be diplaying the EVAs name and its World Wide number.

When you said that the "mirror broke" I assume you mean that you've had to rebuild the Management Server from scratch. The version of Command View has to be compatible with the version of VCS on the controllers...

Cheers,
Rob
jorgen325
Frequent Advisor

Yes. Mirror broke on Management App.
They gave me the latest version before licensing. Version: 6.0.0.193

I have not set a name on the controller.
Storage system name:
I have entered the WWN manually on the controllers.

I have not plugged in the ethernet on the controllers. I don't know the IP but I suspect I can guess the Network address and then scan for IP's.
Do I even need ethernet on the controllers? Shouldn't the fibre be enough?

How can I find out what version is compatible with the controllers?

Is there a way to get into the Controllers and change settings?

Thank you for your help (points given!)
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The EVA-5000 controllers do not have 'ethernet'-ports. If I remember correctly, there are two RJ45-ports:

- UPS, which is not used

- EAB (not sure what it is really labelled). It's been some time I've touched one and there have been two 'generations' of the EVA-5000 with different controller modules.

EAB is for the Enclosure Address Bus and used to assign a unique address to each enclosure. The controllers are linked by an Y-cable to the bus and any disk drive enclosure uses a simple RJ45/RJ45 cable.

> I have not set a name on the controller.

This is the 'cell' or 'system' named and assigned when 'initializing' the meta-data from Command View EVA.

> Shouldn't the fibre be enough?

The EVA-5000 and all others except the 4400 can _only_ be managed 'in-band' via Fibre Channel.

> How can I find out what version is compatible with the controllers?

You can use the up/down/left/right buttons on th controller O)perator C)ontrol P)anel to find out the firmware revision. The firmware is named V)irtual C)ontroller S)oftware (VCS) and the entry should be named similar. From there we can look into the compatibility tables.
jorgen325
Frequent Advisor

Sorry, by ethernet, I meant RJ-45.

The controller displays WWN and Storage System Name,

CSV: HSV V3028

Again, Thank You!
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

OK. I've looked and VCS V3.028 is supported with CV-EVA V6.0, 6.0.1 + 6.0.2.

Let's go back and do some basic checks:

- the controllers have logged in on the Fibre Channel switch(es)? Which switch models are you using? Can you see their WWPNs?

- the server is logged in on the FC switch(es), too?

- any zoning on the switches that can prevent the management server from talking to the EVA?
jorgen325
Frequent Advisor

Here's the thing. I don't know much about the fibre switches. I was able to get in using a null modem cable and the default login.

I have no idea how to configure them though I have been looking through a ton of documentation.

Can I plug the fibre into the controllers directly and bypass the switches just so I know that the controllers work properly?

If not, then I probably have a lot of reading to do on those switches...
jorgen325
Frequent Advisor

Have two: HP StorageWorks SAN Switch 2/32

Everything is configured for redundancy.
Dual switches, dual controllers...
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

A 'direct connect' requires that the EVA and the server talk Fibre Channel Arbitrated Loop (FC_AL) protocol.

It must be changed via the controller OCP and on the driver configuration of the Windows server. How to make the change on the server depends on the type of FC adapter.