4397 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Lan free Backup traffic

Azadeh
Advisor

Lan free Backup traffic

If I attach a MSL6060 to a SAN switch, then the backup traffic is buffered
in backup server then go through SAN switch which is connected to it then go toward
MSL 6060
Isn't more convenint to connect MSL6060 to the backup server which is connected to
san switch ?
in this circumstances, the backup traffic goes trough SAN switch once ...
Regards
5 REPLIES 5
Bob Blunt
Respected Contributor

Azadeh, depending on your configuration, yes. If the disks on your server are connected via SAN through switch A and the tape library is also connected through switch A then the data being recorded does originate at the controller, go through switch A to the host/server then back "out" to switch A and to the tape library. Yes, you're doubling the load on your SAN during BACKUP operations and I've discussed this many times.

The same would be true if you had a server connected to disk and tape storage on the same SCSI, the same CI or any other common link. IF you have the luxury of having dual SAN fabrics, one for the server to storage and one for server to tape you eliminate this issue. Or if you have storage on SAN fabric and your tape connected to, for example, SCSI you also limit your throughput on the SAN.

Some interconnects handle the added load gracefully and others have more trouble. If you can separate the storage and tape thats one solution. Archival solutions that operate independently from the server are another option but (IMHO) you lose some of what I call the "file system awareness" that most native backup solutions provide. Depending on the solution and the speed at which it can operate this could be either good or bad. In some cases the sheer volume of data may require that you find an alternative that doesn't (always) use tape.

bob
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

While this is all true...

depending on the backup software you are using... you can have your servers that you are backing up... talk directly to the Tape Library for backup's instead of through "the backup server".

Steven

Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Azadeh
Advisor

another question :
Can I present Replication Vdisk to my backup server ??? and use of them for backup ?
Then there is no need to purchase BC license ?
Regards
Sheldon Smith
HPE Pro

"Can I present Replication Vdisk ..."

What storage array (or arrays) are you using?

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

Azadeh
Advisor

There are two EVA4100 that there is replication between them
Regards