HPE EVA Storage
1758636 Members
2162 Online
108874 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

MSA 1000 and Windows 2003 Server

Jim Roach

MSA 1000 and Windows 2003 Server

When ever I shut down the MSA I lose the windows shares and security that is on the drives. The data remains, but I have to setup the shares all over again.

Any ideas?

I know it's probably just my inexperience with the hardware and the OS.

Thanks,

Jim
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: MSA 1000 and Windows 2003 Server

Jim:

Are you shutting the MSA while the server is online? or are you shutting down the server first, then the MSA?

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Jim Roach

I think I have done it both ways. Though I can say for sure that the first time it happened the server was off and then I shut the MSA down.

We had a power outage and the UPS was bad and we lost it all then too.

It's getting to the point where I have enough on the MSA that it will be a real problem if it happens again.

Jim
Hense, Klaus
Valued Contributor

Hallo Jim,
what do you mean with "I lose the windows shares and security "?
In the NTFS Filesystem you lost the security? Or the Windows Shares Security? this is stored in the registry.
When you shut down your systems shut down the server first and then the msa. when you start the systems then start the msa first.
klhe
Jim Roach

Thanks for the responses. I will shut down this weekend and see what happens. I may not have been shutting down in the order that has been provided.

In losing the shares and security for the folders. I meant that when I went back and looked at the folders once the system came back up the shares were not there anymore and all of the user assigned rights were gone.

Thanks again for those who responded.

Jim