1755737 Members
3720 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: MSA1000 newbie

jsenter

MSA1000 newbie

I am configuring a MSA1000 for the first time. I know a EVA5000 but not the MSA. I have dual controllers and dual 2/8 switches with 4 servers dual connecting. The MSA has 6-300GB drives that I have placed into a single array. The array consist of 4 logical drives configured as Raid1+0. The question is how long should it take to setup the array? The activity lights on the drives and controllers have been flashing for 24 hours now. Does it take this long to finish the scrub process? I have looked all over the ACU product and cannot find any information that shows what it is doing.
4 REPLIES 4
jsenter

I forgot to list versions:

-Servers were configured with the MSA Support software 7.67
-ACU 7.70.12.0
-MSA FW 7.00.B1500
dewitte64
Advisor

Whenever you are IN the ACU, it flashes the drives for whatever you are currently viewing. So if you click on the controller, all of the drives flash. If you click on just a logical drive, the drives making up the logical drive flash.

If you click the REFRESH button inside the ACU - what does it "say" it is doing? If it is setting up, it will tell you. If it does NOT look like it is doing anything, you can always exit the ACU and see if the flashing continues.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Have you already written something on the logical disks? The MSA does not start the initial RAID construction until the host does a first-time write.

I am not very familiar with the ACU, but the CLI (command line interface) gives information about the progress of a RAID construct/rebuild.

And finally, if the MSA does access the disk it could be a simple surface scan - the MSA does test the disks when it has nothing else to do.
Dmitry_75
Valued Contributor

Hi!
This is normal condition for MSA with LUN
created. If any times hosts have no access to logical drives, MSA begin disks surface scan procedure.