1755728 Members
3128 Online
108837 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

StorageWorks Model Names....

Lawrence Bowen
Regular Advisor

StorageWorks Model Names....

Hi all, I'm having some trouble placing various bits of SAN hardware into definite models. For examble, we have a cabinet with a pair of HSG80s, a couple of 16 Port Fibre Chanel Switches and a few drive arrays. How can I tell what overall SAN model this is, Eg. MA8000 ? There are no obvious names on the hardware or cabinet....

thanks - lawrence
2 REPLIES 2
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

Re: StorageWorks Model Names....

You really cannot tell. We purchased what is called a T-5 configuration. 4 HSG-s in 2 cabinets with 24 shelves of drives. There is not marketing info for what this configuration is called. You take the EMA16000 with 4 controllers installed. 12 shelves for 2 controllers. Add to this a "side car" that has another 12 shelves for the other 2 controllers.

I think that if I purchased 2 HSG's in a T-2 config, the Sales folks call it an EMA 16000.

VMS SAN mechanic
Doug de Werd
HPE Pro

Re: StorageWorks Model Names....

Most likely you have an MA8000. However, the actual components of the MA8000, EMA12000, and EMA16000 are all identical, it is really just the number and packaging of them. This is why these products are often times referred to HSG80- based, because that is the main RAID Controller that is used in all of them.

Since, all of these are based on the HSG80, they all share common features. The HSG80 is dual ported, and can also have a redundant controller partner. From each HSG80 (or pair if redundant), you can hang up to 6 SCSI expansion boxes (like a StorageWorks 4314).

From there, it is really a packaging deal. An MA8000 typically has just one controller shelf for the HSG80s, and then up to 6 single bus (4314) or 3 dual bus (4354) storage boxes. An EMA12000 is just more controller shelves and drive shelves, but it is really split up in multiples of the core MA8000/HSG80 configuration (each controller/pair can support up to 6 SCSI buses). And the EMA16000 has even more controller shelves and drive shelves, and also uses a special chassis.

So when looking for documentation, you probably have an MA8000, but you might find stuff on HSG80 as well.

Hope this helps,
Doug
I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo