108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: boot from SAN problem

elequeux
Occasional Contributor

boot from SAN problem

We upgraded some diskless BL460C Gen9 blades like:

• Initial configuration: HP FlexFabric 20Gb 2-port 650FLB Adapter
  • upgraded configuration: HP FlexFabric 20Gb 2-port 650FLB Adapter *and* HP FlexFabric 20Gb 2-port 650M Adapter

Boot from SAN (mandatory, these are diskless blades) is OK on initial configuration, but fails in upgraded configuration.

This using same profile, except hardware group, same connections _ all green_ ,same BIOS settings (legacy boot)

Using:

• OV 3.10.07-0310774
  • firmware is SPP  2017.07.2
  • Interconnects are HPE Virtual Connect FlexFabric-20/40 F8 (2 pairs)

Also note profiles applied to non upgraded blades boot from SAN OK, on same enclosure

... Any idea ?

TIA + BR

2 REPLIES 2
elequeux
Occasional Contributor

After multiple tries, I found a workaround (similar to advisory emr_na-a00035477en_us):

at boot, goto System Configuration (RBSU for Gen9) and set the "System Configuration"->"ROM Based Setup Utility"->"Network Boot"->"Ports 3 & 4" to "Disabled".  (Port 1 & 2 were already disabled)

the blade now boots from SAN

But I found no way to way to configure this setup from Oneview profile (BIOS setup)... Any clue here ?

TIA + BR

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

I'm not quite following your question or issue here.  But I think you are asking how do you add another FlexFabric adapter to an existing server configuration managed by HPE OneView and still retain the boot from SAN configuration?  When you add the second adapter, a new Server Hardware Type (SHT) is created on the appliance corresponding to the hardware model and adapter layout.  You will need to modify the original Server Profile to reflect this newer SHT.  Then, you will need to look at the defined Connections to make sure the Fibre Channel connections are assigned to the correct FLB (or Mezzanine if you are moving the FC uplinks to a new interconnect module) ports.  You shouldn't have to boot into RBSU to disable additional FC ports.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo