5565 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

DL380 Gen10 server hardware type not being created

Intel Server team_1
Occasional Advisor

DL380 Gen10 server hardware type not being created

Hi,

We have an HPE Oneview VM appliance hosted within vmware 6.5 vcentre on a ESXi 6.5 host.  Appliance firmware is v4.00.07_330056.  We had added some new DL380 Gen10 servers which we can now see under the server hardware section and have no errors showing.  They have not created a "server hardware type" class though, unlike our other DL380 Gen9, DL380p Gen8 & BL460c Gen8 servers.

We have tried different levels of iLO5 firmware on the servers (1.15, 1.20, 1.37 & 1.39) and we have also updated our HPE Oneview VM appliance to v4.00.11_0360315 but we still cannot get the server hardware type generated.

As I understand it, this should happen automatically under the initial add/discovery into HPE Oneview?

Can anyone help with identifying what the issue might be?

Many thanks

Mike.

4 REPLIES 4
ronissac
Trusted Contributor

Re: DL380 Gen10 server hardware type not being created

HI , 

Greetings !! 

I tested this issue in my lab and found that the Server hardware type does not get populated when you add the server to Monitor. Kindly select "Manage " while adding the server and you will be able to see the Server hardware Type.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!

Regards

Ronny

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo
Intel Server team_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ronny,

Many thanks for your response.

We are adding servers under "monitored" as we only have the HPE OneView Standard licence.  We are purely using OneView for hardware monitoring/email alerting.  I believe that if you want to "manage" the servers in the console you would need the HPE OneView Advanced licence?

We have other servers in the console (DL380 Gen7, DL380p Gen8 & DL380 Gen9) and they all create the server hardware type class.

I've double checked the OneView support matrix and it appears the DL380 Gen10's may not be supported?  I'm going to try and update our console to v4.10.04 as this looks to support the DL380 Gen10's.

Will update this thread once I have completed this task.  I will also try adding a Gen10 under managed to see what happens as per your reply below.

Thanks again.

Regards

Mike.

Intel Server team_1
Occasional Advisor

Hi Ronny,

I can confirm you are correct in that if you add a DL380 Gen10 rack mount server as "managed" then the server hardware type will be created.  If you add as "monitored" then the server hardware type does not get created.  As per my update above, we cannot add servers as "managed" as we only have an HPE Oneview Standard licence.  

I have also updated our HPE OneView appliance to the latest firmware v4.10.04_0370820 and I confirm the same thing is happening.

Is this by design would you know?  Why can we add older generation servers with no problems but it appears we need to have a OneView Advanced licence to add Gen 10 and possibly future generations?

Any help is appreciated.

Regards

Mike.

ronissac
Trusted Contributor

Hi , 

This is by design. Going forward from  Gen10 servers ,  "Automatic discovery of server hardware type" comes under Server hardware management features. 

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!

Regards

Ronny

I am an HPE employee
Accept or Kudo