1752777 Members
6275 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Engineering change request

BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Engineering change request

I'd like to start a dialogue about some of the changes I'd like to see in OneView.  The first and formost is de-coupling server profile updates to the BIOS/OS and iLO.  Changes made in the server profile template/server profiles that correspond to iLO, should not require the server to be shut down prior to applying.  This makes it very difficult to schedule.  Everyone, if they are fallowing good security practices, has to periodically change passwords.  My organization goes to an absurd extreme and makes me change my administrative password weekly.  So, when I set up a server profile template defining access to our active directory and have to use my administrative account to make that connection, it is only good for at most a week.  As soon as I update it with my new password, those servers with profiles applied from that template already then are flagged as not being compliant with the template.  It makes things very messy.  When applying a server profile to a server, OneView should be able to tell if the only changes you are applying are relative to iLO and go ahead and apply them even if the server is powered on.

Another change is also related to iLO.  I'd like to be able to define:

1. Idle connection timeout
  2. Disabling ipv6
  3. Disable/Enable DDNS server registration
  4. Disable/Enable WINS server registration
  5. Set the iLO domain name
  6. Set the encryption security state
  7. Set/update iLO firmware repository sets

I'm sure there are a lot more, but that will do to start the discussion. 

3 REPLIES 3
BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Thought of another one.  Can OneView be setup to hold a copy of the Gen 9 & 10 Intelligent Provisioning ISO and then have a directive to a server to boot from that ISO and update?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Thanks for your feedback.  Please know that in a public forum we will be limited in what can and cannot be discussed.

As to your input about iLO configuration, that can be done while the server is powered on.  You must have another change staged that requires the server to be powered off.  You can get the preview of changes by issuing a GET /rest/server-profiles/{id}/compliance-preview.

The other iLO items you have expressed to be managed are things we are looking at to support in the future.

As for Intelligent Provisioning, we no longer require it for OneView operations.  It is not available as an SPP component, and is a rather large resource (we have a finite amount of internal capacity).

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Chris!  I'll give that a test.