1748136 Members
3605 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE oneview hypervisor configuration for vSwitch and vMotion

baber1
Regular Advisor

HPE oneview hypervisor configuration for vSwitch and vMotion

I have added my vcenter to HPEoneview in hypervisor manager part . according attach pic there are few configuration about Vswitch and dswitch and vMotion would you please say me what is follow parameters in hpe configuration :

vSwitch type
Multi-NIC vMotion
Distributed resource scheduler
High availability

also I have Dswitch in my vCenter

1- what is difference if I select Standard or distributed in vSwitch type ?
2- What will be happen if I change the status of Multi-NIC vMotion to Enable ?
3- Distributed resource scheduler is Enable, What will be happen if change this status to Disabled ?
4-What will be happen If change High availability to Enable ?

oneview-switch(1).jpg

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: HPE oneview hypervisor configuration for vSwitch and vMotion

Each one in your list and the image show align to features within vCenter.  You should read the VMware documentation on the differences between Standard and Distributed vSwitches.  These are VMware-specific resources.  Please see this VMware document on networking basics, which does describe standard and distributed vSwitches.

If you disable or enable any of these settings, and the opposite is configured in the cluster, then you will see a compliance alert that the cluster within vCenter does not match the policy defined in the Hypervisor Manager and the deployed Hypervisor Cluster Profile.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

baber1
Regular Advisor

Thanks.

I know what is difference between VSS and VDS my major question was

for exampple on my vcenter i have both type of switch (VSS , VDS)

VDS is using for virtual machine traffic and VSS id using for vmkernel and vMotion traffic

now As i have both type of switch in my infrastructure

1- which one do i had to select for vSwitch type ? Standard or distributed

2- As my vmotion traffic is on vss and and just one vmkernel selected as vmotion thus I think had to disable Multi NIC vMotion is that correct ?

3- HA is enable in my cluster if one of mu esxi host fail all of the vms will be restart on the other hst in the cluster thus think had to active that is that correct ?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

These are all the default settings you would specify for the hypervisor manager.  When you deploy or import a Hypervisor Cluster Profile, you can choose to override those settings from the Hypervisor Manager settings.

When you select Distributed, you will need to specify the vCenter version to set it to, and you can then choose if vDS is for all traffic or just VM (which maps to Network Sets).

You would choose to disable multi-NIC VMotion  if your vSwitch only contains a single VMkernel interface.

If you intend to deploy VMware HA clusters, then you should enable that setting.

Again, these are expected policies, which we then monitor for cluster consistency within the manager.  If they do not match, then the Hypervisor Cluster Profile will report a cluster consistency warning message.  We then inform you what changes should be made, and allow the administrator to remediate and make the cluster consistent.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

baber1
Regular Advisor

thanks but from 3 question I could get just 1 answer

I am confused

I could not understand As I previously said I have two type of Switch (vss , vds) which one do I have to select in oneview Is that important select vss or vds ?

About HA , Is that your means from HA , just enable HA feature on cluster if I enable that in my cluster infrastructure had to enable that here?

baber1
Regular Advisor

Would you help me about that ?

baber1
Regular Advisor

I am still waiting ........