2959 Online
108895 Solutions
New Discussion

Migrate to untagged ESI management VLAN

CadenLange
Regular Advisor

Migrate to untagged ESI management VLAN

Hi

I have a need to reconfigure OneView (7.0) for a Synergy chassis to change a currently tagged VLAN to make it untagged. This is for a smal VMware cluster of three hosts. I'm trying to get the procedure straight in my head as, ideally,  I'd like to avoid any downtime in completing this. This VLAN is the ESXi management network entry and is the only entry in the ESXi management 'network set' and tagged right through to the VMware portgroup.

I only need to complete the OneView and VMware work as we have a network team managing the required changes on the Tor network switches

I think I need some or all of the following procedure.

• Update the LIG and tick the box to make the desired VLAN the 'native' vlan
  • Update the LI from group to read in these changes (will this break the management connectivity to all hosts??)
  • Update the server profile template for this cluster and edit the connections to remove the Network Set and just add the desired ESXi management network (not 'network set') as the connection
  • vMotion all the VMs from one of the hosts
  • Shutdown the host and (in OneView) update the server profile for this host only from the server profile template
  • Power on the host
  • Connect via iLO to the DCUI and remove the VLAN ID from the management network.
  • Assuming I have re-establoished ESXi management connectivity to this host, repeat the procedure on the remaining hosts,

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Re: Migrate to untagged ESI management VLAN

You have quite a bit more than needed here. You only need to adjust the Hypervisor and Profile sides. Changing the Untagged network can be as simple as adjusting either the Network Set (which takes immediate affect to all associated Server Profile Connections) or changing the Ethernet network assignment in the Connection to an Untagged network. Again, can be done online. Then change this in the Switch or dvSwitch within the hypervisor.

As for shutting down the host, no you not need to do this. Nor do you need to adjust anything on the TOR switches. Unless you are adding a new VLAN to those switches that hasne been provisioned. Keep in mind that all traffic outbound from Virtual Connect Tagged Uplink Sets are always tagged. This does not need to match what you did in the server profile. They are not exclusive to each other.

Meanong, I can configure multiple Ethernet networks in Virtual Connect, one is untagged for Servers (say VLAN100) and another is untagged for Virtual Connect Uplink (say VLAN200). Even though we do not classify Virtual Connect as an Ethernet switch, it shares similar behaviors as one.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

CadenLange
Regular Advisor

Re: Migrate to untagged ESI management VLAN

@ChrisLynch 

Hi Chris

Sorry for the late reply - I've been on holiday!

Thanks for the information. Just to confirm - will the following be sufficient?

• Edit the Network Set which contains the VLAN that I want to untag and tick the 'untagged' box within the Network Set against my Network. Save the changes which has an immediate effect without the need to update any server profiles
  • Once this is done I will lose network connectiivity as the VMware portgroup still has a VLAN ID assigned
  • Edit the VMware portgroup on the vSwitch (standard) and remove the VLAN ID for every host - I will then get connectivity back as all packets between the host and the downlink on the ICM will now be untagged.

These actions can be completed online without any reboot of the ESXi hosts required.

kind regards - Caden