1748169 Members
4139 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Missing Part/Serial Number?

rmay_bk
Valued Contributor

Missing Part/Serial Number?

Here's a strange one.  I have an BL460c Gen9 blade whose enclosure has been monitored by OneView for about a year without incident.  This week I find a OneView alert "Unable to determine whether the UUID of the server is valid. The server hardware is reporting an invalid Serial Number."  Odd.  Sure enough, the serial number field on this blade is blank!  I add a serial number, power cycle the blade, and now OneView is complaining about an invalid product ID!

Is this a known issue?  Nobody has replaced the motherboard in this blade!

5 REPLIES 5
Kashyap02
HPE Pro

Re: Missing Part/Serial Number?

Hi,

are the firmware of the OA, OV and server are up to date?

If yes, you can try re-seating the OA module and OA tray coz, there could be instances where the product ID and serail number were not registered properly.

Was there any activity like OA firmware update or OneView firmware update carried out?
If not what changes made to the server / OA or Oneview prior to this.?

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

DanRobinson
HPE Pro

If the System Board was replaced on this blade, the Serial and Product Number should have been restored by the Field Engineer who did the replacement.

The Product Number would be the primary Sales Part Number for the Blade. (xxxxxx-B21 usually)
If you have several blades of the same model that likely were bought at the same time, you can copy the Product Number from one of the other blades and similarly restore that in the F9 BIOS/UEFI menu.

Then as you did before, refresh OneView and see if that clears things up.

Also in the future, if you have iLO Advanced licenses installed, always make sure the license get backed up before a System Board is swapped.  The Support Engineer should know how to access the full iLO Key in order to do the backup (If you Google it you will likely find the answer yourself).

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Mitch-K
Occasional Advisor

I can't explain why the model and serial nmbers went away, but I can tell you that OneView collects the product ID and serial number from the OA which gets it from the iLO, and the OA does not update the product ID until the blade is re-seated.

So, first, go into the RBSU of the blade and make sure the product ID and serial number are there and correct. They are both settable in the RBSU.

Then, let the blade go through power on self test to program those things.

Then re-seat the blade so that the OA gets the updates.

And finally refresh the blade in OneView, and hopefully this will clear up the trouble.

Steve_Tippett
Frequent Advisor

For Gen9 and Gen10 servers, you can use Powershell to update the serial number and Product Number / Product ID values without having to power cycle and initiate RBSU.   Use the Powershell BIOS cmdlets.   Yes, the Product Number/Product ID is very important to OneView, so get these values corrected.

Connect-HPEBIOS

Set-HPEBIOSSystemInfo

uzimmermann
Frequent Advisor

I have run into this serveral times where the Unisys person did not update the serial number or the product number correctly. One particular guy replaced motherboards for 3 different servers where the PN has three 5 or 6 in a row and each time he did only enter two. I have been paying attention to this very much now.

Also with blades where OneView gets notified when it gets insert it might take two to three refresh of the enclosure before it picks up the corrected information. Efuse has to be done sometimes too.