Go to solution
ebull
Occasional Contributor

Oneview - Clarification of Server Profile Template changes

What we have:

HPE Version: 3.00.05-0271823

BLC460C Gen9s

Hello,

I am looking for clarification regarding changes to the Server Profile Template. We would like to change the Firmware Baseline to another baseline. According to HPE 3.0 Userguide:

"When you edit a server profile template, the appliance analyzes the changes and updates the

template configuration. Then, all the server profiles created from the template are evaluated for

compliance and a notification is given indicating the number of profiles that will be affected by

the change. The profiles are marked as non-compliant."

So, does the statement above means that no changes will be applied against any server or blade (whether it be in production or powered off) ?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
ChrisLynch
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Oneview - Clarification of Server Profile Template changes

Editing a Server Profile Template does not push out or initiate a change rollout.  If a setting within the Server Profile Template is modified, like the firmware baseline in your case, OneView will flag all associated child Server Profiles as "Not compliant".  The administrator would need to perform the "Update from template" option from the Server Profile.  You can do this on each server profile individually, multi-select in the inventory screen, or from the REST API (natively or with our PowerShell or Python libraries to script).

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

JP_Conklin
Advisor

I am about to update the firmware baseline on the one of my profile templates which is used by 32 DL380 Gen 9 servers. Could you explain the process with more detailed and maybe share the link of the script that I would use?

ebull
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Chris,

Worked like a charm.

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Well, you can use the UI to multi select the resources that you want to perform the Update from template Actions operation.  Or, you can use the Update-HPOVServerProfile Cmdlet to script that operation.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

Min Aung
Frequent Visitor

First of all apologies for replying to a really old thread but how would you Update-HPOVServerProfile of unassigned type after doing a Join to template please?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

In the future, please feel free use the HPE OneView PowerShell issue tracker to ask specific questions about the library.

You could use the following script code to change the SP to SPT, and then perform updates to those profiles:

# Get the list of server profiles
$ServerProfiles = Get-HPOVServerProfile -Name Hypervisor-Prod*

# Get the new Server Profile Template
$ServerProfileTemplate = Get-HPOVServerProfileTemplate -Name UpdatedTemplate

# Join the server profiles to the new template
$ServerProfiles | ForEach { 
    #Join the server profile to the new template
    Join-HPOVServerProfileToTemplate -Template $ServerProfileTemplate -ServerProfile  $_
}

# Get the list of updated server profiles
$ServerProfiles = Get-HPOVServerProfile -Name Hypervisor-Prod*

# Perform the Update From Template operation
$ServerProfiles | Update-HPOVServerProfile

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo